PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys buy corals from?

Kenzo0
11/08/2014, 08:49 PM
Hi,

I'm planing to buy some mushrooms like blue ,red , orange , blue stripe under $20 for each one. Green, purple and red palythoas.

neon green toadstool, a blue clam, cleaner shrimp and some chromis.

where can I find good deals with free shipping for about $150 or $160?

or please tell me a place where you guys buy corals from?

JakeMallowFilms
11/08/2014, 08:53 PM
You can buy from your LFS, and you won't have to pay for shipping.

Kenzo0
11/08/2014, 09:00 PM
In my local fish store they don't have much and they are more expensive than I could find online!

I found cheap corals at reef2go but they don't have free shipping and they have bad reviews too!

Redman88
11/08/2014, 09:10 PM
Most places will ship free if you order to their set point for free shipping. You just need to place a big enough order.

AntiSatan
11/08/2014, 09:39 PM
Check sponsor list here there are alot of place that have free shipping with a large enoght order.

Yellow Eyes
11/09/2014, 06:58 AM
I buy from my LFS, and I know I pay more for the corals, but I can physically see the coral, what kind of shape it is in, I can see the condition of the tanks, etc. Plus if you talk shop long enough, and mention a coral you are on the fence about, they will *sometimes* throw it in for free, or make it a deal you cannot refuse.

Xavibear
11/09/2014, 07:20 AM
Check out your local reef club.

Crooked Reef
11/09/2014, 07:34 AM
Unless you make a big order you will pay shipping on livestock. It just costs too much for a business to eat the shipping cost

TL1000RSquid
11/09/2014, 07:46 AM
What part of NY? Maybe someone can suggest a local shop. I buy most of my corals locally at the LFS or off the classifieds on a couple local forums.

dkeller_nc
11/09/2014, 09:04 AM
A lot of folks buy from Live Aquaria/Diver's Den because of the quality of livestock and customer service. But it costs $35 for standard next day air shipping until you get to >$225, at which point they throw the shipping in for free.

So unless you've a medium to large sized tank or are willing to almost completely stock a small tank from nearly bare (which is never a good idea from a biological husbandry standpoint), it doesn't make much sense to net order your animals.

As others have noted, the best place to get healthy, high quality livestock for not much money is your local reef club. The downside is that you're going to be limited to whatever your local hobbyists have generated an excess of. A decent LFS, in my opinion, is the best option (or a combination of your LFS and local club). You may well pay more for each animal than otherwise, but you can buy one or two at a time, the length-of-transport is very short so the animals aren't as stressed as buying them from California and shipping them cross-country, and many LFS will tack on your desired critter to their next regular shipment so long as their wholesaler has it.

3dees
11/09/2014, 09:38 AM
I buy most of my coral locally, but I just received an order of corals I couldn't find here. I got them from Bluezoo Aquatics. orders over 140.00 have free shipping. great packaging and they include an acclimation kit and some coral food.

shesacharmer
11/09/2014, 10:59 AM
Bluezoo and Liveaquaria are both top notch with primo guarantees and no hassle refunds/credits. Would advise you to google reeft2go as far as complaints.

Kenzo0
11/09/2014, 11:18 AM
Does anyone have any experience with saltwaterfish.com

and I live in Staten Island, New York and I only know this one fish store in here!

anyway, thank you everyone for your help appreciate it! :)

nybyrne
11/09/2014, 11:26 AM
I have ordered from them many times and never had an issue. They seem to have good stuff for a decent price.

Teenreefer15
11/09/2014, 12:20 PM
go on craigslist and looking for tank tear downs, you might not be able to get the names of the corals or ensure quality but a quick dip in coral rx would be good. Or you could buy a lot for wholesale from a place like global oceanic life. I personally have a dealer who finds corals and puts little frag packs together for me and delivers them to my house.

shesacharmer
11/09/2014, 12:27 PM
Yes, I've had good luck with saltwaterfish.com.

Sapelo
11/10/2014, 04:48 AM
Vivid Aquariums is not cheap but they do an awesome job and have great quality stuff. You get what you pay for.

dmh41532
11/10/2014, 06:24 AM
I recently ordered from saltwaterfish.com, no complaints. everything arrived alive and well, except for the snails. but the corals, fish and hermits are doing very well. they also had a special for new orders...free shipping over $99. vivid aquariums is also very good. free shipping there is over $249 I think. Live aquaria's prices are alittle high, but they have excellent quality and customer service...only down side for me is they ship UPS...I've had terrible experience with UPS so I no longer order from them.

zn00py
11/10/2014, 06:54 AM
pacificeastaquaculture.com
toofishy.com
thatpetplace.com

First one is in maryland and the last 2 in PA.Shipping is under 15 bucks each.

gone fishin
11/10/2014, 10:23 AM
I got a few of mine from LA and DD during some open houses. Most came from my LFS. I am fortunate that I have a good LFS and developed a good relationship with them. Given enough time they can usually get what I want.

Kenzo0
11/11/2014, 11:39 PM
Thnx guys! I think saltwaterfish site is good ...I will wait for black Friday though...I wanna see if they have any sales!

Thnx everyone for advice! :)