PDA

View Full Version : Bali Green Slimer

Dummyforclownfi
11/08/2014, 09:58 PM
Any insight on this coral? I read mixed reviews about it. Some claim it's a super fast grower and that if you can't successfully keep this then don't try acroporas while others say they cannot get any growth out of it. I just ordered a piece and want to know where it would do best in my aquarium and at what height. Thanks in advance.

rovster
11/09/2014, 05:53 AM
Fast is a relative term and a lot depends on how big the piece is and how happy you can make it. Good flow and moderate to strong light as far as SPS go.

markalot
11/09/2014, 07:34 AM
I can't kill mine and it grows when everything else in the tank is dying. It's a race between the slimer and my purple stylophora to see who can grow faster in bad conditions. If you are just getting started and want some confidence then the slimer and the purple stylo are what you need. :)

Dummyforclownfi
11/09/2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the input. This is not a new step for me. I mainly keep sps I just have not tried green slimer yet. I have ideal parameters and maintain them via kalk in my ATO. Thanks.

ReefCowboy
11/10/2014, 03:50 PM
Had it with many other slow growing sps and it wad the slowest grower in the tank. Hardy and beatifful green color, but slow growth

DDon
11/10/2014, 04:07 PM
This is the fastest growing acro in my tank, by far. Placed in top 1/3 of tank under LEDs supplemented with t5 with strong flow. I don't have as deep of green coloration as I have seen in some pics though.

markalot
11/10/2014, 05:39 PM
I sometimes wonder if there are different varieties of "slimer". I'm not that good with acros yet and this beast just grows and grows and grows.

DiscusHeckel
11/10/2014, 06:12 PM
My Bali slimer is the "canary" coral in my tank. It is almost always the first coral that shows sign STN from its base if things go wrong in the water column. Over the years, I had to frag it many times to keep it alive after each STN event. It is still alive and is growing well until things go wrong again.

trueblackpercula
11/10/2014, 07:20 PM
I have bali green slimmer and bali green slimmer with blue tips, both like medium flow and my lighting is leds so i guess they like medium to high lighting.

EvMiBo
11/11/2014, 10:32 AM
My Bali slimer is the "canary" coral in my tank. It is almost always the first coral that shows sign STN from its base if things go wrong in the water column. Over the years, I had to frag it many times to keep it alive after each STN event. It is still alive and is growing well until things go wrong again.

Have you nailed down what makes it STN for you? I have had one in my tank for a little over 1 month and it has STN'd about 1/8 - 1/4" (VERY slow) so far.

alb_56
11/11/2014, 12:09 PM
I got mine when I first started and have fragged it a ton and its been through all kinds of bad swings. Never STNd and its always been the brightest green in the tank.

Here is a thread showing some different opinions on what a green slimer specifically is and how different they can look.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2443213

markalot
11/11/2014, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure if this will help or not but here is a shot of my Green Slimer. I recently moved it down behind some rocks so it was better in scale with some smaller frags in front. It's been a month or so and it's already encrusted on another rock and I've had to trim some branches that were heading toward other corals.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q96/540/WKnDYm.jpg

Dummyforclownfi
11/11/2014, 09:06 PM
Just got mine in courtesy of vividaquariums.

markalot
11/12/2014, 07:39 AM
Just got mine in courtesy of vividaquariums.

If that's a real Green Slimer, and it probably is, I think you'll see good and rapid growth from it, as long as your params are stable. I really think a lot of these slow growing slimers are just green staghorn like acros sold as slimers.

A real slimer will fill the tank with slime if you touch it and your hands will smell for the rest of the day.

If for some reason you have to remove a slimer from the tank for any length of time and you happen to have a wife she will ask you what that horrible smell is. :)

Any green coral that does not exhibit these tendencies is not a real slimer, IMO, -OR- I don't have a slimer but some other green coral that is probably adapted to living out of the water (low tide) on a regular basis.

Dummyforclownfi
11/12/2014, 07:42 AM
If that's a real Green Slimer, and it probably is, I think you'll see good and rapid growth from it, as long as your params are stable. I really think a lot of these slow growing slimers are just green staghorn like acros sold as slimers.

A real slimer will fill the tank with slime if you touch it and your hands will smell for the rest of the day.

If for some reason you have to remove a slimer from the tank for any length of time and you happen to have a wife she will ask you what that horrible smell is. :)

Any green coral that does not exhibit these tendencies is not a real slimer, IMO, -OR- I don't have a slimer but some other green coral that is probably adapted to living out of the water (low tide) on a regular basis.
Thanks for the input. I have other stags and they are super fast growers. My parameters are ideal and within range. As soon as I put the slimer in, it had slime reaching 8 inches away and touching a stuber stag of mine. I guess this is a good sign right? Either way I am excited about having this piece. It had full polyp extension within minutes of me throwing it in.

markalot
11/12/2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the input. I have other stags and they are super fast growers. My parameters are ideal and within range. As soon as I put the slimer in, it had slime reaching 8 inches away and touching a stuber stag of mine. I guess this is a good sign right? Either way I am excited about having this piece. It had full polyp extension within minutes of me throwing it in.

Sounds like you got the real deal. :) It may be small but it has it's sights set on your other corals already. Keep an eye on it. :D

jda
11/12/2014, 09:44 AM
If it is "real" then it is A. Yongei. There are many ID photos on Google Images.

It is one of the fastest growers for me with NSW params and under halides.

Dummyforclownfi
11/12/2014, 09:58 AM
If it is "real" then it is A. Yongei. There are many ID photos on Google Images.

It is one of the fastest growers for me with NSW params and under halides.
I believe vividaquariums is pretty legit. I also try to maintain NSW and have them under a photon 48.

Reefvet
11/12/2014, 01:46 PM
I read mixed reviews about it.

This is RC. You can read mixed reviews and contrary opinions all day long. Some are informed, many are just speculation.

If you've had success with other stags you'll have no problem with a BGS. It may not grow immediately, many acros take time to acclimate.

Reefvet
11/12/2014, 01:47 PM
It's been a month or so and it's already encrusted on another rock and I've had to trim some branches that were heading toward other corals.

And there's your answer, demonstrating it's one of the easiest SPS to grow.

dowtish
11/14/2014, 08:29 AM
My Slimer is definitely the fastest growing stick in my tank. I also rescued what I believe to be another type of A. Yongei that is a teal/purple stag. and it has grown just as fast. They must like my lighting. In under 6 months Ive seen it grow 8 inches plus with multiple branches.

dowtish
11/14/2014, 08:30 AM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii62/dowtish/14302486486_1f8412e9c7_b_zps981325b4.jpg

Dummyforclownfi
11/14/2014, 08:36 AM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii62/dowtish/14302486486_1f8412e9c7_b_zps981325b4.jpg
Very encouraging to see all your guys pictures.

EvMiBo
11/14/2014, 08:44 AM
They must like my lighting. In under 6 months Ive seen it grow 8 inches plus with multiple branches.

What's your lighting? Photoperiod?

dowtish
11/14/2014, 08:52 AM
What's your lighting? Photoperiod?

Giesmann Spectra Fixture

2 400W Radiums
4 T5's- 3 blus plus 1 fiji purple

I run the T5's staggered for 8 hours and the halides for 6

EvMiBo
11/14/2014, 12:28 PM
Nice. I could never bite the bullet with MH's and the energy consumption, however, MH + t5 supplement seems to give imo the best coloration and growth for sps. Anyways, nice looking bgs!

DiscusHeckel
11/14/2014, 02:38 PM
Have you nailed down what makes it STN for you? I have had one in my tank for a little over 1 month and it has STN'd about 1/8 - 1/4" (VERY slow) so far.

Yes and no. In general, STN can be caused by many factors. However, I was able to nail down the cause successfully when it happened last time. It was caused by vinegar dosing. When the dosing reached 12 ml/day, my bali slimmer started to show signs of STN. A few days later my other acroporas follow suit. When I stopped the dosing and STN stopped too. On other occasions, I was unable to nail down the cause and had to frag the bali slimmer instead.

Reefvet
11/14/2014, 08:14 PM
It was caused by vinegar dosing. When the dosing reached 12 ml/day, my bali slimmer started to show signs of STN.

Were you monitoring water parameters while dosing ?

12 ml per day is a pretty hefty dose for a 65 gal tank.

Greg11
11/14/2014, 08:55 PM
mine love light and strong flow(get nice thick branches),whatever mean fast growing but its good grower if your water is right of course

basser1
11/14/2014, 09:54 PM

You know markalot..... I'm wondering if I have a real slimer. I never gave it much thought until I read this thread, now I'm wondering what I have.

I bought what I thought was a Bali green slimer, but I have not seen the slime coming from it when I do water changes and it's out of the water for a few minutes. I had a green slimer a few years back and I remember the slime would be oozing from it whenever I would do water changes.

So now I'm wondering???

MidwesternTexan
11/14/2014, 10:15 PM
There are BGS', then there are Blue tipped Green Acros.
IMEO- if it grows with Blue tips- even if it's Green- it NOT a BGS!

I've got 3 types of blue tipped Acros, often called staghorns
A Green
A Blue
A Purple

And, I've got a huge, (often fragged too) BGS-
and yes, it slimes WAY more than the other acros I have when messing with it, etc.

BGS
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/TexasTodd_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/5A82B297-83AF-4F76-BE13-45164B495C7B_zpsemzgsl2z.jpg (http://s658.photobucket.com/user/TexasTodd_photo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5A82B297-83AF-4F76-BE13-45164B495C7B_zpsemzgsl2z.jpg.html)

Here you can see 4 of my larger Acros-
the 3 on the left and center grow with blue tips, left is the Green, middle front the Blue, middle back the Purple, and on the right is the BGS-
you can clearly see the color difference btween the BGS and the Blue tipped Green Acro.
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/TexasTodd_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/376B74E2-8B14-4C57-9B1D-A9A50C2945AC_zpszlqsp23r.jpg (http://s658.photobucket.com/user/TexasTodd_photo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/376B74E2-8B14-4C57-9B1D-A9A50C2945AC_zpszlqsp23r.jpg.html)

Here's a recent FTS of my 180
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/TexasTodd_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/8056CABA-6DA0-46A0-9739-F950EF99A80B_zpsftzqnwer.jpg (http://s658.photobucket.com/user/TexasTodd_photo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/8056CABA-6DA0-46A0-9739-F950EF99A80B_zpsftzqnwer.jpg.html)

To the OP,
The BGS is IMO a staple of the sps/acro hobby- you'll be glad you got one!

DiscusHeckel
11/15/2014, 04:42 AM
Were you monitoring water parameters while dosing ?

12 ml per day is a pretty hefty dose for a 65 gal tank.

All the time. I have a log book. 12 ml/day was not a hefty dose according to Randy and tmz. However, I hypothesised that because measurable nitrates in my tank were very low to begin with (0.2 ppm with salifert), carbon dosing was not justified in such a condition.

MidwesternTexan
11/15/2014, 10:14 AM
All the time. I have a log book. 12 ml/day was not a hefty dose according to Randy and tmz. However, I hypothesised that because measurable nitrates in my tank were very low to begin with (0.2 ppm with salifert), carbon dosing was not justified in such a condition.

FWIW- I've been using 60ml vinegar + 25ml Kalwasser in a gallon of RO/DI
for at least 2 years. NO GFO, No Calcium or Kalwasser reactor

I use the vinegar to 'buffer' the Kalwasser
This keeps my Calcium and Alk in check.