PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of DSB in sump ?

lllesley
11/08/2014, 11:17 PM
Hi, Have just placed our order for the new sump to go with our new build. We have planned space for a DSB inthe sump, I am now hearing mixed opinions regarding have a DSB.
Some people are saying to have a double fuge instead ?
What is your opinion, and what has worked for you ?
Is there any reason a DSB didn't work, or why you would suggest we don't have one.
I have included the plans for the sump so any suggestions or improvements greatly accepted

m0nkie
11/09/2014, 12:09 AM
subscribing

AntiSatan
11/09/2014, 12:13 AM
I personally think a remote DSB is a good thing. It really cant hurt anything and can easly be maintianed. Had planed on running one in my sump have room for it but am pushing wieght limit on floor so had to skip it for now.

dkeller_nc
11/09/2014, 07:40 AM
There's very good evidence that deep sand beds and refugia with algae aren't necessary to successfully keep a thriving reef tank that has little to no dissolved inorganic nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Generally speaking, the requirements are protein skimming, chemical filtration in the form of Granular Activated Carbon and Granular Ferric Oxide, and possibly carbon dosing (adding small amounts daily of vinegar or vodka) and/or biopellets.

Having said that, just because a DSB and algae refugia aren't necessary, doesn't mean that they're aren't lots of successful tanks that employ one or both, they're just a little more complex from the standpoint of maintenance.

If this is your first reef tank, I'd encourage you to go with simplicity first and simply stick with a skimmer and GAC/GFO chemical filtration, while leaving accommodation in your sump for a DSB and/or algae refugia in the future if you decide to go that way. There's a rather steep learning curve when it comes to maintaining good water chemistry, and during this period, the less uncertainty, the better.

lllesley
11/09/2014, 11:49 AM
There's very good evidence that deep sand beds and refugia with algae aren't necessary to successfully keep a thriving reef tank that has little to no dissolved inorganic nutrients (nitrate and phosphate). Generally speaking, the requirements are protein skimming, chemical filtration in the form of Granular Activated Carbon and Granular Ferric Oxide, and possibly carbon dosing (adding small amounts daily of vinegar or vodka) and/or biopellets.

Having said that, just because a DSB and algae refugia aren't necessary, doesn't mean that they're aren't lots of successful tanks that employ one or both, they're just a little more complex from the standpoint of maintenance.

If this is your first reef tank, I'd encourage you to go with simplicity first and simply stick with a skimmer and GAC/GFO chemical filtration, while leaving accommodation in your sump for a DSB and/or algae refugia in the future if you decide to go that way. There's a rather steep learning curve when it comes to maintaining good water chemistry, and during this period, the less uncertainty, the better.

Thank you I really appreciate the feed back. We currently run a 240g (just over a year) and have a DSB in this sump. But when we planned this new sump it appears opinions had changed somewhat from a year a ago and that it may not be necessary to have one. So was wondering what other peoples experiences where , with or without ? It appears that it is quite mixed, and that a lot of a DSB success is how it is set up etc.
This is our current sump. Obviously it was clean a year ago...lol Boy you should see it now...lol