PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea alkalinity test

JammyBirch
11/09/2014, 08:05 AM
I don't have the pro version just standard. My question is do I count the total drops it takes to turn the solution green or do I only count the drops used after the solution turns blue?

I know this is probably a dumb question...sorry

Mark9
11/09/2014, 09:40 AM
its not this test kit?

never heard of another red sea one.

bb4NnYOFneA

JammyBirch
11/09/2014, 02:32 PM
It's basically that one it comes with a pipette instead of the fancy syringe, same card though.

NSimpkins
11/09/2014, 07:02 PM
IDK if this was right but I had the same one. It is the one that comes in the kit with the Amonia and Nitrate tests right? I counted the amount it takes to get to overdose then subtract 1.

Not sure if that was right but worked for me.

Pife
11/10/2014, 03:44 AM
What does the instructions say?

Royce7586
11/10/2014, 08:51 AM
whatever you count as your measure point do it exactly the same everytime

that way even if your doing it a little wrong from standard you still can till if your getting alk swings

if you change it every time you dont know if its cause you measured at a different point or your alk actually has changed

I use the red sea kits the second I see a distinct color change thats where I measure from. I'm sure some people go a drop or 2 more then that depending on their eyes and preference whats important is that you measure the same every time

scottduncan1234
11/10/2014, 08:59 AM
i've got the same test kit, you count the total number of drops, one drop shake 10 seconds add 2nd drop shake until the solution turns green that is your number if you get to yellow you went 1 drop too much subtract 1 drop and that is your number... 1 drop = 1dkh/.4meq/l, 2 drops = 2dkh/.7 and so on

JammyBirch
11/11/2014, 09:02 AM
That's what I've been doing...here's another thought..

I'm dosing calcium and alkalinity now, using B Ionic. Do I need to mess with this measurement since I have a Hanna Calcium checker?

The reason I ask is because I am most concerned with calcium and will dose to manage that level, because it's a two part I will add the same amount for alk.

Do really need 2 measurements?

disc1
11/11/2014, 11:33 AM
You do need to measure both, at least until you know what your tank is going to do. Thanks to the salt mix not being perfectly balanced to an individual tank you may end up dosing not quite equal parts.

I'll also add that you are doing it backwards. Focus on alkalinity and then try to match up the calcium. There is so much more calcium there than alk and it can be hard to spot trends in calcium levels from testing noise. Alkalinity trends are much easier to get a handle on.

WhiteTang
11/11/2014, 12:45 PM
i've got the same test kit, you count the total number of drops, one drop shake 10 seconds add 2nd drop shake until the solution turns green that is your number if you get to yellow you went 1 drop too much subtract 1 drop and that is your number... 1 drop = 1dkh/.4meq/l, 2 drops = 2dkh/.7 and so on

Actually you subtract just half a drop, in case you reach the overdose color (yellow). It says so in the manual.

WhiteTang
11/11/2014, 12:48 PM
I don't have the pro version just standard. My question is do I count the total drops it takes to turn the solution green or do I only count the drops used after the solution turns blue?

I know this is probably a dumb question...sorry

You count all the drops. If with the last drop you overdose then you subtract just half a drop.
Lets say you had 8 drops and with the ninth you overdose to yellow you count 8,5 drops. That would give you a dKH of 8,5.