PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Coral Quarantine Issue

marc111
11/09/2014, 03:56 PM
So I bought 3 small mushroom rocks, a sinularia frag,a Hydnophora Coral frag, a Reef Gen War Horse Favia and a Tracy Morgonian Gorgonian. I polaced these in my 10 gal quarantine tank that has an HOB filter and acouple of pieces of live rock. It also has a coral banded shrim and a 1 in long pistol shrimp.

The everything looked ok for a few days except for the sinularia but it perked up. Then after about a week the mushroom polyps have begun shrinking and a coulple have died. I have tried doing watrer changes and that has not seemed to help. I moved the corals farther apart and placed the sinularia in the quietest corner and that has not fixed things either. I am afraid I am going to loose the mushrooms some of which have jumped off their rock.

The siunularia, gorgonian and hard corals continue to look fine.

Any suggestions?
Mark

Newsmyrna80
11/09/2014, 06:57 PM
You could be having some coral allelopathy going on. Sinularia are pretty aggressive and in such a small space it could be overwhelming the mushrooms. You could try running some carbon.

marc111
11/13/2014, 06:20 PM
So I did a water change lowered the lighting level by about 50%, put chemipure in the HOB and moved the sinularia to a different empty quarantine tank. This seems to have stopped the deterioration and the mushrooms are looking up. A learning experience.

Mark

Newsmyrna80
11/13/2014, 06:52 PM
Good to hear