PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium silicon question

rillaboratories
11/09/2014, 04:50 PM
I've been building several tanks with rtv silicon. I've using the tape method so I'll have clean edges. The silicon is only the thickness of the glass where its attached.

I've seen some other aquariums where the silicon is wider then the pane of the glass. Does that extra addition of silicon increase the strength of the silicon bond, or are they adding it for an extra level of protection against water leaks.

I would prefer the clean look where the silicon is only on the part where the glass meets.

My description may be confusing so I can also add a picture if needed.

uncleof6
11/09/2014, 09:45 PM
What you are talking about is called an inner seal. It is designed and used to protect the structural seam (the silicone between the panels.) It is a essential part of the integrity of the tank. It adds a small amount of *strength* to the seam, but it is not significant, unless using junk silicone. The do not necessarily have to be really "wide" but they should be present.

There are two kinds of builders: those that go for aesthetics, low shipping cost, what have you; there are those that put quality and longevity above the aesthetics etc.

ExpertMarine
11/10/2014, 05:17 PM
RTV, really? Is that stuff aquarium safe?

uncleof6
11/10/2014, 05:53 PM
RTV, really? Is that stuff aquarium safe?

All silicone is RTV, Room Temperature Vulcanizing (rubber) Momentive RTV100 series is a branding, and is the best you can use for aquariums.

Toby_Kourtney
11/11/2014, 12:53 PM
I've always used rtv 108 for aquariums. I use it on airplanes at work and it holds up so I figure it should hold an aquarium together no problem :-).