PDA

View Full Version : Question about kalk

SirReefer
11/10/2014, 12:50 PM
I have finally decided to start kalk on my mixed 75g. I had a quick question though. I just added 1/2 tsp per gallon to a 5g bucket and have a pump in there. My question is how long does it need to be stirred and once I turn the pump in the bucket off how long do I have to let it sit before I use it ? I have read many sites where it says mix and let it sit for 24hrs.

Donkeykong
11/10/2014, 02:05 PM
until the water is clear, usually only takes an hour or so for me. Dont let the pump sit at the bottom of the bucket. excess kalk and junk that the kalk pulls out of the water settles at the bottom and you dont want to pump that into the tank. I had made a small 3" stand with pvc pipe so the pump always stay up above the sediment at the bottom.

ReefsandGeeks
11/10/2014, 04:00 PM
Mine is usualy clear and ready to go after an hour or so as well. What I do that's a little different is mix it in one container, and pour the clear kalk into my container I use for topping off, and the settled kalk at the bottom of the first container I get rid of. It's not necessary, but I don't have to worry aobut sucking up any precipitation.

Not sure how much precipitation you'll get using 1/2 tsp per gallon. It should almost all desolve. Fully saturated kalk is 2 tsp/gallon, or up to 3tsp/gallon if you desolve it in 45ml of vinigar first. Look up "what your grandma never told you about limewater" if you'd like to read in deatail about it. I'd post a link, but I'm not very computer savy.

SirReefer
11/10/2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys looks like I'll be able to use it today. I am planning on doing the same method of siphoning the clear saturated kalk into another container and using it with my aq pump.