PDA

View Full Version : Flukes hypothetical...

triggreef
11/10/2014, 09:10 PM
How fast can flukes really kill? I mean, are flukes by themself all that deadly?

Is it really like a OMG I have flukes gotta start treatment right away, or can you take your time and everything be ok until say a week later to start treating.

I ask as I believe I lost a fish in qt from flukes but it was fine for like a week, then day 6 it starts scratching like crazy, prazi day 7 and dead day 8.

Newsmyrna80
11/11/2014, 07:33 AM
Yes, they are deadly by themselves. As for how fast, it depends on the type of fluke. Just like any other parasite/disease you don't know the flukes' stage of life. There could be a few that have just laid eggs (assuming oviviparous fluke) and 4 days later all the eggs have hatched and now the fish has hundreds of larvae trying to attach themselves to the fish. It's not like velvet or brook but I wouldn't wait a week to start treatment.

snorvich
11/11/2014, 07:48 AM
Yes, they are deadly by themselves. As for how fast, it depends on the type of fluke. Just like any other parasite/disease you don't know the flukes' stage of life. There could be a few that have just laid eggs (assuming oviviparous fluke) and 4 days later all the eggs have hatched and now the fish has hundreds of larvae trying to attach themselves to the fish. It's not like velvet or brook but I wouldn't wait a week to start treatment.

This. Some of the cases of mortality attributed to ich are actually fluke cases of mortality.