PDA

View Full Version : Maxspect Gyre and 2 BTAS

asudavew
11/11/2014, 08:21 AM
I added a Maxspect Gyre to my 180 gallon tank last night. The tank is a standard 6'x2'x2'.

I have 2 BTAs in my tank. I know others have been interested in how the Gyre would work with anemones, so I thought I would take some before and after videos. The videos are all a little blue, I should have turned the blue lights off, but water movement is pretty clear by watching the Xenia and anemones.

The first video is with the 4 power heads I have in the tank running. The biggest is a WP40.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S0U8o3r6Vts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The second video is with the Gyre running with the settings straight out of the box. I thought it was the highest setting at first... but it was only set on 4 or 5. NO other pumps were running other than the return pump.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M7-QQlEsJus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The last video is with the Gyre running on high speed. NO other pumps were running other than the return pump.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JFb4o4iVwuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GOSKN5
11/11/2014, 08:47 AM
Nice videos...So what are your thoughts on it overall?

asudavew
11/11/2014, 08:53 AM
Nice videos...So what are your thoughts on it overall?

It definitely moves water. It is a bit loud. But no louder than the fans on one of my Chinese LEDS.

I like the water movement. It cleared junk out of rocks that my power heads would have never forced out. I'm betting the extra movement will improve the overall health of my tank.

I'm going to give it a week and see how I feel about it then. But I know I won't miss the 4 power heads in my tank. :)

And I will be moving it to the other end of my aquarium.
It was easier to set up on the left side of my tank.
I didn't have much time last night, but I had to see it running!

AdamNC
11/11/2014, 09:58 AM
One question I have is how is the flow affected by hob filters, hob skimmers and sump output nozzles? I can see when it's the only flow in the tank but no where have I seen or heard of when they are in full swing in a fully filtrated tank. If the Gyre is flowing from left to right but your outputs are flowing back to front, how much does that mess up the Gyres flow pattern?

asudavew
11/11/2014, 11:16 AM
One question I have is how is the flow affected by hob filters, hob skimmers and sump output nozzles? I can see when it's the only flow in the tank but no where have I seen or heard of when they are in full swing in a fully filtrated tank. If the Gyre is flowing from left to right but your outputs are flowing back to front, how much does that mess up the Gyres flow pattern?

I have two outputs and a BIG return pump.
The Gyre still formed fine.

oh207
11/11/2014, 11:00 PM
So how did your BTA react or like the flow? Are they in the same place? Or did they bubble up more or less? Or just the same?

Maximus
11/11/2014, 11:23 PM
Which mode is it on? It looks like constant mode?

Azedenkae
11/12/2014, 02:53 AM
Did the BTA try to climb onto the Gyre? :D This is what I am interested in. I heard with the way they worked, even if stuff climbed on to them, well, it's less likely that it'll get shredded.

asudavew
11/12/2014, 10:39 AM
So how did your BTA react or like the flow? Are they in the same place? Or did they bubble up more or less? Or just the same?

Same. The BTAs have never moved from that spot, other than when the first split into the two.

asudavew
11/12/2014, 10:40 AM
Which mode is it on? It looks like constant mode?

Yes constant.

But I have been lowering the strength at night.

asudavew
11/12/2014, 10:41 AM
Did the BTA try to climb onto the Gyre? :D This is what I am interested in. I heard with the way they worked, even if stuff climbed on to them, well, it's less likely that it'll get shredded.

If an Anemone hits the Gyre it might cause more damage than a regular powerhead.

And if one releases and floats. It's going to hit the Gyre.

Azedenkae
11/12/2014, 09:24 PM
If an Anemone hits the Gyre it might cause more damage than a regular powerhead.

And if one releases and floats. It's going to hit the Gyre.

D: Not what I wanted to hear/thought I would hear. D: Oh noez. :/

asudavew
11/12/2014, 11:58 PM
D: Not what I wanted to hear/thought I would hear. D: Oh noez. :/

Probably could build an eggcrate guard pretty easily.

sonoma2nv
11/15/2014, 01:34 PM
just got mine today and replace 2 mp 40s .wow is all i can say .this thing is awsome.

M Woodhill
11/15/2014, 11:10 PM
It definitely moves water. It is a bit loud. But no louder than the fans on one of my Chinese LEDS.

I like the water movement. It cleared junk out of rocks that my power heads would have never forced out. I'm betting the extra movement will improve the overall health of my tank.

I'm going to give it a week and see how I feel about it then. But I know I won't miss the 4 power heads in my tank. :)

And I will be moving it to the other end of my aquarium.
It was easier to set up on the left side of my tank.
I didn't have much time last night, but I had to see it running!

i have 2 place at the front op to each other. they def move a lot of water and are quite quiet at lower speed

Pinkskunk
11/16/2014, 05:59 AM
i have 2 place at the front op to each other. they def move a lot of water and are quite quiet at lower speed

MP40 is very quiet at lower speed also. tell us what it sound like at high/max speed. :p

the MOST important question for you is: Would you do it again or ....... ? :D

clorox
11/16/2014, 12:05 PM
I've had the gyre for a few days already, but I had some QC issues that have been resolved promptly by Coralvue.
I am currently using it with a 'bandaid' fix, until the replacement parts show up in the mail. I am using it in my shallow gig tank and they are very very happy.

I'm using the pulse mode simulating a surge every 30s. I think this powerhead will become the pump of choice for nem dominated tanks.

rdnyva
11/17/2014, 06:46 AM
I'd be interested to hear what everyone has to say after owning them for awhile.

I questioned why they would come with replacement paddles and housing - do they wear out quickly? I've never seen pumps come with parts.

Asudavew - those videos are very helpful. Thanks

asudavew
11/17/2014, 09:58 AM
I like. Too noisy for a living room at high speed IMO.
But at mid to lower speeds .. it's quieter than my lights.

I hope it quiets down more. I run it full speed when I'm not around or just messing in the fish room.

I turn it down at night.
Can't wait for Apex control!

asudavew
11/17/2014, 09:59 AM
I would definitely buy it again.
It's crazy how much flow these thing produce.
And I get to remove 4 powerheads!.

I will use one in all of my tanks.
But I will wait on the 35 watt before buying more.

Pinkskunk
11/17/2014, 01:49 PM
whats a 35 watt? more power?

cnreef
11/17/2014, 03:25 PM
whats a 35 watt? more power?

less... current one out is 50w

clorox
11/17/2014, 05:59 PM
I would definitely buy it again.
It's crazy how much flow these thing produce.
And I get to remove 4 powerheads!.

I will use one in all of my tanks.
But I will wait on the 35 watt before buying more.

I 100% agree, it's awesome. I removed 4 powerheads too from my gig tank. In alternate mode it blew off a ton of detritus from the rocks. Gigs love it, and I only need to keep it at 30-40% as the tank is a shallow 24" square, so it is almost silent.
When the smaller one comes out I will add to enhance the back and forth surge effect and hopefully by then Apex control will be implemented.

homebrwr
05/25/2015, 02:43 PM
An update at this point would be awesome. What settings are you running the gyre at? How has maintenance been? Did you need to add any power heads back into the system? I am curious on how after 6 months or so these are holding up. I installed one in my 180 this past weekend..