PDA

View Full Version : Weird nassarius snail?

JammyBirch
11/11/2014, 09:13 AM
I have a huge Nass snail that I think is dying...this guy was hanging off a rock last night totally exposed upside down. Later on he fell off the rock and was laying on his back for hours. I moved him last night before bed and he is still sitting there on his back...

When I moved him last night he moved down into his shell a little so I thought he was fine now I'm wondering. There is plenty of stuff for this goofball to eat so I'm a bit concerned.

GilliganReef
11/11/2014, 09:19 AM
Most likely the snail will die. When I ever I notice one flipped and try re flip it back up, but they usually never comeback to life. By the next day either my hermits or bristle worms will have him cleaned out.

Sk8r
11/11/2014, 10:46 AM
Nassarius don't go on rocks. They go under the sand or on the glass, and have trouble hanging on to the glass. Generally you don't see them. They don't eat algae. They eat spare fishfood, fish poo and detritus under the sand.

cloak
11/11/2014, 11:31 AM
If the snail still doesn't seem to be moving, you might want to pick it up and give it a good whiff. If it's dead you'll know it. If not, just place it someplace where you can reach it easily. It might just be a matter of time.

Scott07
11/11/2014, 11:51 AM
Nassarius don't go on rocks. They go under the sand or on the glass, and have trouble hanging on to the glass. Generally you don't see them. They don't eat algae. They eat spare fishfood, fish poo and detritus under the sand.

Don't tell mine that.... he does what he wants haha. No joke I witnessed him get in a fight with a hermit crab over a piece of mysis just last night... and actually win.

Anyhow, It took a couple tries with a nassarius before I got one to stick around. I believe in my limited experience that my tank just wasn't mature enough/dirty enough to support one until recently. If I were setting up again, I think I would hold off on one of these guys until at least 6 months plus or even more depending on his size, tank size, etc...

Zer0.
11/11/2014, 03:09 PM
Really don't need a mature tank for nassarious snails. As sk8er said they'll eat fish food. Nassarious, astre, a couple turbos and a couple halloween hermits were the first live stock to go into my tank

Sk8r
11/11/2014, 03:11 PM
Needing detritus is true. Be a little wary of things sold as nassarius, however: their kissing cousins, the whelks, can be somewhat predatory, [I think nassarius may be in the same family, but better mannered] and sometimes if you get snails from people who collect them at the shore, you can end up with some hungry little snails that go after things other than detritus. The larger, more definitively nassarius types tend to be white and leave a slime trail that's quite distinct. I have mostly brown ones myself, at the moment, but they've been mannerly.

Scott07
11/11/2014, 03:20 PM
Needing detritus is true. Be a little wary of things sold as nassarius, however: their kissing cousins, the whelks, can be somewhat predatory, [I think nassarius may be in the same family, but better mannered] and sometimes if you get snails from people who collect them at the shore, you can end up with some hungry little snails that go after things other than detritus. The larger, more definitively nassarius types tend to be white and leave a slime trail that's quite distinct. I have mostly brown ones myself, at the moment, but they've been mannerly.

Ahh, very interesting. I have seen some very different looking "nassarius" snails sold at a couple of places. Thanks Sk8r, next time I need one I will make sure to do some research.

edinphilly
11/11/2014, 03:29 PM

Hmm. Good stuff. Glad to know that.

JammyBirch
11/11/2014, 04:43 PM
This came with my clean up crew...I have a lot of them.

I grabbed him today to check him out, same thing, he slowly retreated to his shell. I put him in a nice spot over looking his favorite place on the sand. He hasn't moved yet, I'll check him tomorrow again. This will be my first loss, not to happy about it.

On an unrelated note my new skunk cleaner just molted...it is awesome.

I don't think there is a lack of food I'm probably over feeding the tank a bit, he's a huge fellow maybe he's just old.

I'll keep you posted.