PDA

View Full Version : Alkalinity Test Kits

clipper
11/11/2014, 03:02 PM
Hey guys - Just wondering if anyone might recommend to me the best Alkalinity tester on the market? I look forward to reading your thoughts - Thanks so much

Jon

bertoni
11/11/2014, 05:05 PM
The Salifert and IO test kits seemed to give credible and consistent results for me.

Bilk
11/11/2014, 05:41 PM
I use two and they coincide in their readings - Red Sea Pro and a Hanna colorimeter for alkalinity. The Hanna is really easy to use, unlike the ULR phosphate checker. It uses a liquid regent vs a powder like the phosphate checker. That test literally takes two minutes to perform from filling the vial to getting a reading. No guessing when the color change occurs or matching a color to a chart.

tmz
11/11/2014, 06:19 PM
Salifert and the hanah checker.

GroktheCube
11/11/2014, 10:00 PM
I use both Hanna and Salifert. They're generally within spitting distance of each other, until I get to the very bottom of the bottle of reagent for the Hanna checker. IMHO, the color change on the Salifert alk test is a little bit more clear than other hobbyist alk titration kits.

clipper
11/11/2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks allot guys - seems the general consensus is Hanna and Salifert - im guessing amazon is cheapest place to buy??

bertoni
11/11/2014, 11:48 PM
I got my stuff from various vendors, and I don't actually know where the prices are lowest.

GroktheCube
11/12/2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks allot guys - seems the general consensus is Hanna and Salifert - im guessing amazon is cheapest place to buy??

With this sort of thing, I usually just order them from one of the aquarium goods supplier when I'm placing another order. Given Most of them offer free shipping for large orders, I wait until I'm buying a bunch of salt/media/RODI refills, and order things like test kits then.

That said, Amazon is usually the cheapest for just about anything under the sun, I just usually try to support the reefing speciality vendors, because they offer products and services that Amazon does not. I'm not anti-Amazon at all, I use them for plenty of other things, and take full advantage of my prime membership, I just choose to buy speciality/hobby items from the "little guy" when I have the choice, even if it ends up costing me an extra five or ten bucks.

hkgar
11/12/2014, 03:18 PM
No, don't go cheap. Get the Hanna. You get an absolute number and don't have to guess between color shades. Of course, as with any test kit, it is an absolute number, but also has a margin of error.

clipper
11/12/2014, 07:11 PM
No, don't go cheap. Get the Hanna. You get an absolute number and don't have to guess between color shades. Of course, as with any test kit, it is an absolute number, but also has a margin of error.

Looks like they are between 40-60$ - not bad at all - Looks like ill be going with Hanna - I really appreciate your guys feedback

GroktheCube
11/12/2014, 10:00 PM
With the Hanna, make sure you mind the numbers as you get towards the bottom of a bottle of reagent, and make sure you keep the bottle tightly sealed. IME, the readings can start to get a little inconsistent for the last few reads of a bottle.

Bilk
11/12/2014, 11:03 PM
With the Hanna, make sure you mind the numbers as you get towards the bottom of a bottle of reagent, and make sure you keep the bottle tightly sealed. IME, the readings can start to get a little inconsistent for the last few reads of a bottle.
What do you attribute this to? Never had that issue.

hkgar
11/13/2014, 07:52 AM
Neither have I

MBC2012
11/13/2014, 07:55 AM
Used to use a Hanna. Gave me false readings, and i spiked my alk. Regens were all good and relatively new. Instrument was faulty at a year of age. Lost thousands worth of chalices. Red Sea first, Salifert back up.

phillrodrigo
11/13/2014, 05:46 PM
I like that the salifert comes with the bottle to test against. I wish all there kits came with it

Ontheway
11/13/2014, 06:01 PM
Salifert here.

clipper
11/13/2014, 06:11 PM
Used to use a Hanna. Gave me false readings, and i spiked my alk. Regens were all good and relatively new. Instrument was faulty at a year of age. Lost thousands worth of chalices. Red Sea first, Salifert back up.

Yikes!!! yeah that is no good... that's what has always concerned me is false readings :-\