PDA

View Full Version : Sump critique

ZooZ
11/11/2014, 11:18 PM
Just wanted to get your opinion and critique on this sump design I was thinking about. Picture shows ball valve way up but it will be closer to the return pump. There will also be a gate valve in the main drain utilizing the herbie method. Thanks!

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...ps095dcc91.jpg

Silvergryphon
11/12/2014, 09:38 AM
Picture link doesn't work.

ZooZ
11/12/2014, 10:16 AM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah144/zooz0614/photo-3_zps095dcc91.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zooz0614/media/photo-3_zps095dcc91.jpg.html)

RocketEngineer
11/12/2014, 11:40 AM
In no particular order:
-Flip the return and the refugium.
-Get rid of the egg crate on the top of the refugium.
-Change out ball valve for gate valve.
-Use a separate container for the ATO and make it larger.

HTH,

ZooZ
11/12/2014, 12:34 PM
In no particular order:
-Flip the return and the refugium.
-Get rid of the egg crate on the top of the refugium.
-Change out ball valve for gate valve.
-Use a separate container for the ATO and make it larger.

HTH,

Hey thanks for the input.

What is the reasoning for the changes? I wanted the egg crate to prevent the cheat clogging the return pump.

I do not have space for a container under the sump for a larger ATO reservoir. The total area under the sump is 41" x 21".

Arc Drafter
11/12/2014, 12:53 PM
You switch the Fuge and return so that the you get nutrient rich water from your dt so you can have pods otherwise the skimmer will strip it out. as far as chaeto clogging your pump it won't happen i've had mine like rocket suggest for several years with no problems. it grows and glumps together.

RocketEngineer
11/12/2014, 12:58 PM
If you put the return in the middle, you get two advantages: 1) The refugium can now be taller allowing more room for the cheato to grow and 2) Feeding the refugium off the return pump allows you to control flow through that section independent of what is going past the skimmer. While not a big deal in some cases, with my sump I have much higher flow past the skimmer and heater than through the refugium so I'm not blowing the algae into the return. Which is why I removed the egg crate as unnecessary.

A gate valve is better for fine adjustments where as a ball valve is really only good for on/off control.

Do you have a space next to your stand for an ATO container? I know a number of folks who hide theirs as an end table to give them more volume.

ZooZ
11/12/2014, 03:19 PM
If you put the return in the middle, you get two advantages: 1) The refugium can now be taller allowing more room for the cheato to grow and 2) Feeding the refugium off the return pump allows you to control flow through that section independent of what is going past the skimmer. While not a big deal in some cases, with my sump I have much higher flow past the skimmer and heater than through the refugium so I'm not blowing the algae into the return. Which is why I removed the egg crate as unnecessary.

A gate valve is better for fine adjustments where as a ball valve is really only good for on/off control.

Do you have a space next to your stand for an ATO container? I know a number of folks who hide theirs as an end table to give them more volume.

How about if I tee the drain line from the DT and direct 25% or so of the flow to the refugium and the rest to the skimmer section?

morleyz
11/12/2014, 04:05 PM
How about if I tee the drain line from the DT and direct 25% or so of the flow to the refugium and the rest to the skimmer section?

Number 1 rule of Herbie...NEVER tee your drain line.

JammyBirch
11/12/2014, 05:03 PM
Not sure I agree that a gate valve is easier to control then a ball. I like the ball valve better, it's lower profile and easy to adjust.