PDA

View Full Version : Max Wattage for EB8?

DanCorals
11/13/2014, 10:35 AM
Hello Everyone!

Sorry if this question was answered already but I have been trying to find the Max Wattage that an energy bar can handle. I need to plug in 6 250W Halides and I want to make sure it can handle the 1500W. I burned through a different power station in the past that had a 1400W limit and so I am paranoid now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dan

morty
11/13/2014, 04:48 PM
With the EB8, its rating is given in amperage rather than wattage. It's capable of handling 15 amps total, with no more than 5 amps through any single outlet. Given that wattage is voltage times amperage, 1500W calculates to about 12.5A (assuming 120V). Granted, this formula is only a rough estimate for AC circuits, because other things, like power factor, can come in to play and skew the measured vs. calculated. It might be best to use a Kill-a-watt to get actual amperage numbers from your ballasts and know what the total draw is going to be.

CoralNerd
11/13/2014, 08:48 PM
With the EB8, its rating is given in amperage rather than wattage. It's capable of handling 15 amps total, with no more than 5 amps through any single outlet. Given that wattage is voltage times amperage, 1500W calculates to about 12.5A (assuming 120V). Granted, this formula is only a rough estimate for AC circuits, because other things, like power factor, can come in to play and skew the measured vs. calculated. It might be best to use a Kill-a-watt to get actual amperage numbers from your ballasts and know what the total draw is going to be.
Wow, that's a mouth full

DanCorals
11/14/2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks so much Morty!!!!

Breadman03
11/14/2014, 04:12 PM
If I were you...I would either go with a pair of EB-8's or a used pair of EB-4's. Split that draw up across 2 completely separate circuits. Many (most?) household circuits are only rated for 15A, so you would certainly be running a single circuit at a pretty large load for a long time.