PDA

View Full Version : Need to upgrade my lighting. What's the best ?

moneymm
11/13/2014, 08:18 PM
i have a 45 gallon now tank .. It was a freshwater setup, so it had a plastic led and led included. My first fish are in qt, but I'm ready to figure get some new lighting now before I transfer them. My tank is 36" wide.

Plan is to get into mix reed. I don't want to get lights now that limit me on what I can have in my tank down the road.

What is the best lights out there for my size tank?

What's the best source for buying?

Bpb
11/13/2014, 08:37 PM
Budget

pakirri
11/13/2014, 08:41 PM
ATI T5, get at least 6 bulbs or 8. That would be more than enough. Germans make good lights

moneymm
11/13/2014, 08:55 PM
Budget

I dunno, I guess I want to see what the best costs and if everyone tells me it's worth it, I will splurge.

Mistersponge
11/13/2014, 10:03 PM
Radion XR30 pro

itzonlithai
11/13/2014, 11:38 PM
ATI Hybrid Powermodule

Bpb
11/14/2014, 12:21 AM
+1 ati powermodule hybrid 36" 6 bulb.

igadget56
11/14/2014, 01:38 AM
Kessil A360we

alton
11/14/2014, 05:56 AM
Two Build My Led fixtures with a 3 year warranty made in Texas

Tweaked
11/14/2014, 06:08 AM
+1 ati powermodule hybrid 36" 6 bulb.

Seen one in action, and wow. Be confident that t5s can grow any coral, and the LEDs will pop the colors for you and your friends. I personally own a halide/led hybrid from reefbrite and love the growth and colors I'm getting. Both of these lights are not for the faint of wallet lol, but you get what you pay for when it comes to lighting. You will also get many, many opinions.

moneymm
11/14/2014, 07:11 AM
thanks for all the feedback.. so confused as to why these fixtures can cost so much money.

i guess the question is, what will really be different in my tank if i spend 300 or 1200?

Stackemdeep
11/14/2014, 07:20 AM
Such a question will always result in more confusion in these parts. Much like asking what is the best brand of automobile. There is no correct answer. Decide first a few other questions. 1. Do I want to keep up with the light and replace bulbs on a schedule ? 2. Do I want a built in controller? 3. Is energy cost an issue? 4. Is heat build up and issue or am I willing to invest in a chiller? 5. Do I want the light to vary throughout the day in intensity?

Answering these questions first will then help you choose the your solution.

Bpb
11/14/2014, 08:11 AM
That's why I asked for budget. For your tank dimensions, that is the "best" prefabricated light option. The best option in equipment in any hobby will cost a lot. For a 40 gallon tank on a $300 max budget, well then you're looking at something like an aquaticlife 4x54 watt t5ho unit with ati bulbs. Or a pair of D120 led units. Or a used 36" 2x150 watt metal halide and t5 combo unit if you can find one...that would honestly be my second pick after the ati powermodule hybrid.

The difference you're asking about? Reflector quality, ballast quality, energy efficiency, spectral quality, base of manufacture and distribution. Lots of things play into the giant price gap

alton
11/14/2014, 08:11 AM
thanks for all the feedback.. so confused as to why these fixtures can cost so much money.

i guess the question is, what will really be different in my tank if i spend 300 or 1200?

6 T5 lamps x $25 = 150 a year time 4 years = $600 or the cost of LED

Tweaked
11/14/2014, 08:20 AM
4 years is twice the length the average hobbyist stays in this hobby lol. Which brings me to the next point. Many great used deals on equipment as hobbyist come and go. I saw two Gen3 Radion Pros for $500 each right now- great deal.

moneymm
11/14/2014, 08:57 AM
Such a question will always result in more confusion in these parts. Much like asking what is the best brand of automobile. There is no correct answer. Decide first a few other questions. 1. Do I want to keep up with the light and replace bulbs on a schedule ? 2. Do I want a built in controller? 3. Is energy cost an issue? 4. Is heat build up and issue or am I willing to invest in a chiller? 5. Do I want the light to vary throughout the day in intensity?

1. dont mind
2. yes.
3. no, b/c my wife wont be able to notice these charges are from my tank.
4. i dont mind getting a chiller.
5. sure if that is what is best for the tank then yes.

jamesamantha
11/14/2014, 09:04 AM
Check out reef breeders products. I like mine and very affordable.

James

moneymm
11/14/2014, 09:36 AM
That's why I asked for budget. For your tank dimensions, that is the "best" prefabricated light option. The best option in equipment in any hobby will cost a lot. For a 40 gallon tank on a $300 max budget, well then you're looking at something like an aquaticlife 4x54 watt t5ho unit with ati bulbs. Or a pair of D120 led units. Or a used 36" 2x150 watt metal halide and t5 combo unit if you can find one...that would honestly be my second pick after the ati powermodule hybrid.

The difference you're asking about? Reflector quality, ballast quality, energy efficiency, spectral quality, base of manufacture and distribution. Lots of things play into the giant price gap

i guess i would say 500-600 dollars is my budget.

Stackemdeep
11/14/2014, 09:57 AM
1. dont mind
2. yes.
4. i dont mind getting a chiller.
5. sure if that is what is best for the tank then yes.

Then you are in fine shape with your budget. You can purchase a new Hamilton T5 & 250w 3' Belize Sun from many sources and stay in range. However you will need a controller which is not a bad thing for operating other tank features. Or you can choose from several LED options such as Reefbreeders (I use one of theirs) and have the controller built in. If you are new to reefing, then going with a combo MH and T5 will keep you from frying corals and messing with the settings too often and offers time tested successful results. The ATI Hybrids are top shelf but expensive.

Bpb
11/14/2014, 10:45 AM

lol you'll fit right in. Spoken like a true reefer

SonRK
11/14/2014, 11:03 AM

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but there's no need for me to open a similar thread for my lighting question.

I have a Nuvo Fusion 30L which is 36" wide and 13" deep. I currently use a DM-155e, http://reefradiance.com/old-dm-155e.html but it doesn't hit the edges well. Also the dimmer knobs are cool, but I wish there was a way to have them programmable by themselves.

1. I prefer the ease of LEDs because they won't require bulb swaps

2. Built in Controller vs APEX/ReefKeeper modules I assume right? I do intend on getting a controller for my tank, especially if the Archon in production by Digital Aquatics is any good. I do want to be able to have timer and dimmable features

3. Energy Cost is negligible, but I assume LEDs are the most efficient?

4. I rather not put a chiller

5. Here's the thing. Varying intensity looks very visually appealing to me, but is it necessary? I do want it, but I have no idea how it affects corals, etc.

$500 being my budget. The Nano Box Quad is $650, which looks really sexy, but fell out of my range :(

Chris Lakies
11/14/2014, 11:39 AM
I've personally been through many different lighting scenario's in my years of reefing. I have not found anything yet that matches the way the corals/fish look of Metal halide.

There are caviots with each type of different lighting you get in. Like with Halide cost of bulb/power/heat.

You have to think of what is important to you and what your budget will allow for.

Currently i run an 8 bulb ATI sunpower which i do like a whole lot. No heat issue and not much electrical used. Corals and fish look pretty good but i miss my halide!

BlueFyre
11/14/2014, 11:45 AM
I don't mean to hijack a thread, but there's no need for me to open a similar thread for my lighting question.

I have a Nuvo Fusion 30L which is 36" wide and 13" deep. I currently use a DM-155e, http://reefradiance.com/old-dm-155e.html but it doesn't hit the edges well. Also the dimmer knobs are cool, but I wish there was a way to have them programmable by themselves.

1. I prefer the ease of LEDs because they won't require bulb swaps

2. Built in Controller vs APEX/ReefKeeper modules I assume right? I do intend on getting a controller for my tank, especially if the Archon in production by Digital Aquatics is any good. I do want to be able to have timer and dimmable features

3. Energy Cost is negligible, but I assume LEDs are the most efficient?

4. I rather not put a chiller

5. Here's the thing. Varying intensity looks very visually appealing to me, but is it necessary? I do want it, but I have no idea how it affects corals, etc.

$500 being my budget. The Nano Box Quad is $650, which looks really sexy, but fell out of my range :(

Save up and get the quad. It's totally worth it. I love mine

moneymm
11/14/2014, 02:09 PM
still no decisions. i think im gonna keep researching and make a purchase on black friday/cyber monday. brs youtube 'shed some light' (bad pun intended...) on the various types of fixtures and why they are important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nngna3WdYhs&list=PLBaMLrfToJyxmDj7Pc5l8Wr_68AZZezkI

moneymm
11/27/2014, 11:45 AM
So I haven't picked still .... But I plan on buying tomorrow for Black Friday deals...

But I know I would like a t5 / led hybrid. With a controller. And a mounting bracket.. (I don't want it to hang from ceiling)

Budget is still 500-600 .. I don't know if there's anything out there that fits that criteria.. Is there?

Reef or Die
11/27/2014, 12:01 PM
Led/t5 combos tend to be on the expensive side especially if there is a controller involved.
Lots of options nowadays for lighting. I'd recommend a 6 bulb ati sunpower. Not dim able just the standard fixture and get some good bulbs. Can't go wrong.

moneymm
11/27/2014, 01:17 PM
My tank is 35.5" wide.... 45 gallon now tank. Should I be getting a 2' or 3' fixture??

moneymm
12/01/2014, 11:36 AM
Led/t5 combos tend to be on the expensive side especially if there is a controller involved.
Lots of options nowadays for lighting. I'd recommend a 6 bulb ati sunpower. Not dim able just the standard fixture and get some good bulbs. Can't go wrong.

I am about to go with the ATI dimmable sunpower 36"... is there a reason why you said not to get the dimmable? besides the few dollars extra in cost.

I like the idea of having a built in controller.