PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive sediment filters

firebirdude
11/13/2014, 09:06 PM
I'm looking to replace the sediment filter in my 6-stage Spectrapure RODI. Mine is getting yellow. Problem is that they want $7/each for the 1 micron and $13/each for the 0.5 micron PLUS shipping. But then I look on Amazon and see Purenex 1 micron sediment filters for ~$4.25/each SHIPPED! Anybody have any feedback on these? Anybody use another filter they swear by that's cheaper than Spectrapure's offering?

guserto4
11/14/2014, 05:48 AM
Regardless of what you get I'd start with micron size. I like a 5 micron first then 1 or 0.5, that way any big stuff is getting trapped by the first one, extending the life of whatever's next in line.

Amazon's price might just be good bc they sell so many and not a negative reflection on quality. I do also like the idea that BRS says they look at available filters and offer what they perceive to be the 'best' in the industry, and they don't carry Purenex.

Idk what the takeaway here is, but my 0.02 anyway :)

azjohnny
11/14/2014, 07:59 AM
I would stick with Spectrapure, not all filters are the same and the sediment filter is there to protect the membrane which I am more concerned with.

I run the .2 micron Zetazorb which is $30 in my Maxcap. One thing to think about you only change the filter every 6-12 months, I go 12 months with mine with very small drop of water pressure

Maybe buy more than 1 to justify the shipping costs

shermanator
11/14/2014, 11:55 AM
I like the GE RO.Save.Z sediment filters. They are $7 each at BRS. They last a LOT longer and do a much better job than the PurTrex filters ($4 at BRS).

firebirdude
11/14/2014, 10:54 PM
I like the GE RO.Save.Z sediment filters. They are $7 each at BRS. They last a LOT longer and do a much better job than the PurTrex filters ($4 at BRS).Thanks for the heads up. I'm a "preferred reefer" there so I get the bulk discount pricing all the time. That makes them $6.49/each and then a little Googlefu netted me a $5 coupon code (BRSC14) !! $12.02 shipped for two great sediment filters!!!:bounce1: