PDA

View Full Version : reef stick epoxy

mathman7728
11/14/2014, 08:00 AM
All,

i've added a few frags recently and used a reef stick epoxy (the kind that you mush together and it turns gray color) to attach them to the LR. it has been nearly 12 hours since the last attachment and my skimmer is still going crazy with overflow. i did do a 35 gal water change (out of 180 gal DT) but that didn't do a thing. two questions

1) what can i do to stop the skimmer overflow

2) what do you use to attach frags to LR

thank you for your suggestions

alf1096
11/14/2014, 10:59 AM
1. Time

2. The epoxy and super glue depending on what I am doing.

mathman7728
11/14/2014, 11:03 AM
OK, thank you!!

so when would you use the epoxy vs. use the super glue?

3dees
11/14/2014, 11:03 AM
turn the skimmer off for a day.

MondoBongo
11/14/2014, 11:47 AM
2. The epoxy and super glue depending on what I am doing.

same here.

depends on what i think will work best. i will often use super glue for things like acros to affix them to a frag plug.

epoxy i generally use for sticking frag plugs in to live rock, or larger jobs like connecting rocks together. places where i need a strong hold, but also have the ability to hide to patch work.

it takes some experimentation. there are plenty of things in my tank that started out being glued, and then didn't hold how i wanted so ended up being epoxied, and vice versa.

i have personally had a difficult time getting super glue to hold underwater. so often i tend to use it on things that i can let dry a bit out of water.

kenneth wolfe
11/14/2014, 12:35 PM
next time you use the epoxy wait until you feel it getting a little warm then apply it in the tank "let it start to set before you place it in the tank" less toxins that way

mpderksen
11/14/2014, 12:37 PM
I make an Oreo cookie. I make a ball of Water Weld and squeeze some super-glue gel one it. Then I press it to the bottom of the frag, or plug, or whatever. Then I put more gel in the other size of the Water Weld and press it where I want it. So it's base rock - glue - weld - glue - frag. I've never had a problem with stuff staying in place.
I've also never had a skimmer issue, even when doing a whole bunch at a time.

mathman7728
11/14/2014, 03:22 PM
Water weld? you mean something like J-B Weld Waterweld 8227 from Home depot? no worries with toxins released into the DT?

mpderksen
11/14/2014, 06:36 PM
None for me and I used like 6 full tubes of it when I first set up my tank. Of course, get other opinions, since I've only been in the hobby for 6 years, which makes me a rookie compared to many here.

ItzGenX
11/14/2014, 09:10 PM
My sister's skimmer overflows using the epoxy putty as well, however, it doesn't cause my skimmer at home to do anything weird. When I work on her tank, I usually mash the stuff around until it gets really warm and gets a little tougher, then apply. As for her skimmer, I place a piece of scrap acrylic over the intake, then slide it over to adjust how much water can enter. I just move the acrylic plate around until the bubble height is in a decent spot. This let's the skimmer pull some of the crap causing excessive foam without pulling mostly water. It is usually fine the next day when I visit and remove the acrylic plate from the skimmer inlet.

billdogg
11/15/2014, 06:55 AM
I make an Oreo cookie. I make a ball of Water Weld and squeeze some super-glue gel one it. Then I press it to the bottom of the frag, or plug, or whatever. Then I put more gel in the other size of the Water Weld and press it where I want it. So it's base rock - glue - weld - glue - frag. I've never had a problem with stuff staying in place.
I've also never had a skimmer issue, even when doing a whole bunch at a time.

exactly what I do also. I have used multiple tubes of each at the same time (darn frag swaps) and never had a problem. JB WW is soo much cheaper for the very same product.

kurfer
11/15/2014, 08:43 AM
Just an FYI, look into Tunze coral gum instant reef epoxy (purple and grey stuff). Sets perfect while wet, quickly while submerged and doesn't cause my skimmer to do anything. It's pretty amazing stuff! Managed to mount a heavy large toadstool on the side of a rock (gravity working against me) with my heavy flow from my MP40 and it held like a champ within 30 seconds. Skimmer had no reaction.

Toby_Kourtney
11/15/2014, 02:11 PM
Every time I use epoxy it takes my skimmer a week to get back to normal