PDA

View Full Version : stockman/maggie placement

cag2
11/14/2014, 04:54 PM
I have had my 150g reef up for about 5 months now and have stable fish livestock and newly placed corals. My problem is with the center internal overflow. I have a 1" drain and 3/4" return. The returns exit the overflow beneath the teeth of the overflow. I currently have a durso setup with a ball valve between the drain exit and the sump. I have a sicca 5 return pump in a emerald trigger sump. It has been difficult to match drain volume with pump return volume. The durso intermittently makes the dreaded gurgling sound throughout the day. It will be quiet for a couple hours then start. I have noticed that it will quiet down when I replace the evaporated surface water, but only temporarilly, about 30 min. I have ant ATO intalled in the sump. I'm going to change to a HGB. Don't want to take down the tank to install a Herbie system. Before I do I was wondering if placement of the silencer, whichever, makes a difference?

cag2
11/15/2014, 11:18 AM
anybody?

pmrossetti
11/15/2014, 02:25 PM
You shouldn't adjust the drain line unless running a Herbie.
Adjust return from pump.

thegrun
11/15/2014, 06:14 PM
Do you have room to drill hole for a second drain in the back of the tank inside the overflow box?

cag2
11/16/2014, 04:29 PM
No, unable to do that. Stuck with the 1" drain and 3/4" return.

cag2
11/16/2014, 04:31 PM
My question really is whether positioning of the HGBmaggie below the teeth but above the return drain openings matters at all?