PDA

View Full Version : Need help - popeye?

hajas
11/14/2014, 06:10 PM
I have a bannerfish with bulging eyes. They don't appear cloudy, but they both are definitely severely swollen. It is also pretty obvious the fish has reduced eyesight and isn't able to eat much, if at all. Thinking it was popeye, I have been treating with Furan-2 and Epsom salt, as recommended in other threads, for the last 3 days. However, there doesn't seem to be much, if any, improvement. Any thoughts on what it might be or if I need to try another treatment? Thanks in advance!

IUfan
11/15/2014, 08:44 AM
I battled this same thing last week. I'm not familiar with Furan-2, I used Erythromycin Powder, but wasn't impressed with that, I hear Kana-Pro is better for popeye in saltwater. Provided you're treating in a QT.

Main thing to work on is water quality, get the water pristine and that should help, test daily, or get an ammonia alert badge.

What are you feeding?

slief
11/15/2014, 03:15 PM
Got a fox face, rabbit fish or lion fish in your tank???? Leave it alone and don't stress the fish anymore. I wouldn't even QT it. The pop eye should subside on it's own in a couple weeks without any treatment. If it's not eating well, try different food like frozen mysis to stimulate it's appetite. Pop eye is generally the result of getting stung or stuck by something in the tank but can also be the result of a sudden salinity or temp changes which result in gas formations behind the eye or under the skin. This condition is known as gas bubble disease (GBD) which sounds worse than it is and typically goes away on it's own too. Don't be surprised to see a weird bubble in or under the cornea after the pop eye subsides. It could take a month or so for everything to be normal again. Just be patient and try to make sure it eats well even if you have to find an alternate food that it likes.

I just went through something similar with another member.. Patience is the key. Here is the thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2451393