PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of RectorSeal Thread Sealant?

d2mini
11/15/2014, 08:17 AM
I've tried using this stuff a couple times instead of tape, and lets just say we did not get along well.
Anything left on exposed threads never dries so if I handle the plumbing at all I end up getting the stuff everywhere.
Any tips for proper application?
Maybe I should only apply to the female threads?
Obviously I would want to make sure I use enough of it, but how do I avoid the mess?
I'm this close to just tossing the rest of the can and going back to thread tape.

mcgyvr
11/15/2014, 08:24 AM
Just wipe up any thats exposed after tightening the joint.

uncleof6
11/15/2014, 10:28 AM
It is not supposed to dry. That is why it is called a non-hardening thread sealant. The only place it seals is inside the fitting... Honestly, the Rectorseal T plus 2 is ok, but Spears Blue 75 is a better product.

bryanracing95
11/15/2014, 11:02 AM
Rector seal isn't the best choice for aquariums, the compound has a good amount of voc and solvent in it as it is made to never dry. I would use teflon tape. The only thing I use rector seal on is gas pipe for appliances and such.

slief
11/15/2014, 01:21 PM
I've never used that stuff. I only use Datey Great White Pipe Joint Compound which I get from the local plumbing supply place. It's PTFE based and works great. It's non toxic and aquarium safe. While it does dry out and harden a bit with time, it is easily removable even after years but it seals as good as anything I've seen. I've never had a leak when using it although it can be messy. I apply it liberally to the male threads and make sure all exposed threads are covered from top to bottom. I smear it into the threads to insure it gets into the grooves. Like I said, I've never had a leak and I use it on all my external pump fittings, my drain lines, my chiller fittings, threaded union fittings and any other thread plumbing 1" or larger. I much prefer this stuff over teflon tape. I have a dozen or more leak free fittings with this stuff on my tank. Some of which has been there for several years or more. In fact my chiller unions were sealed with this stuff over 17 years ago and they too are still leak free.

uncleof6
11/15/2014, 01:58 PM
Rector seal isn't the best choice for aquariums, the compound has a good amount of voc and solvent in it as it is made to never dry. I would use teflon tape. The only thing I use rector seal on is gas pipe for appliances and such.I've never used that stuff. I only use Datey Great White Pipe Joint Compound which I get from the local plumbing supply place. It's PTFE based and works great. It's non toxic and aquarium safe. While it does dry out and harden a bit with time, it is easily removable even after years but it seals as good as anything I've seen. I've never had a leak when using it although it can be messy. I apply it liberally to the male threads and make sure all exposed threads are covered from top to bottom. I smear it into the threads to insure it gets into the grooves. Like I said, I've never had a leak and I use it on all my external pump fittings, my drain lines, my chiller fittings, threaded union fittings and any other thread plumbing 1" or larger. I much prefer this stuff over teflon tape. I have a dozen or more leak free fittings with this stuff on my tank. Some of which has been there for several years or more. In fact my chiller unions were sealed with this stuff over 17 years ago and they too are still leak free.

The voc and solvent is irrelevent... ...well to save myself a lot of superfluous typing: You are not supposed to use teflon tape on plastic threaded fittings, nor pipe joint compound. Plumbers are the worst offenders.

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

slief
11/15/2014, 06:29 PM
The voc and solvent is irrelevent... ...well to save myself a lot of superfluous typing: You are not supposed to use teflon tape on plastic threaded fittings, nor pipe joint compound. Plumbers are the worst offenders.

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

The Great White Pipe Dope stuff I use is made for PVC fittings and it works and works great.

Further, on the Lasco site and your link it says:
"A sealing compound must be compatible to plastics. Many brands of pipe sealant contain oils, solvents or carriers that can damage plastic."

From the tube and the Great White website regarding the stuff I use.
"For use with water, steam, caustics or dilute acid lines of PVC, CPVC, ABS"

Further that, from the Lasco Site:
"When working with threaded plastic fittings do use a proper sealant. The right sealant for threaded joints is non-hardening, compatible with plastic and doesn't add slipperiness"

The stuff I use that I mentioned above has a semi abrasive material in it that prevents slipperiness and insure you don't over tighten. Furthermore, it is non hardening. It does firm up but you can still unthread the fittings even after years. It meets all of the requirements from the Lasco site.. :thumbsup:

Fortunately, I am not a plumber. My pants fit me well.

uncleof6
11/15/2014, 06:57 PM
So, you prefer the marketing hype from Great White which is in direct contravention to what the plastic fitting manufacturers say on the subject? ;)

It works for you, and that's great. But that does not make it correct or appropriate. The wording is very clear: a non-hardening thread sealant. It does not say if something else works for "so and so" or many "folks," then that something else is just fine. This is one of the big reasons that folks looking for answers can't get to the correct solution without a great deal of confusion being involved. :)

The correct solution is a non-hardening thread sealant. Spears Blue 75 is a non-hardening thread sealant, it is available within the hobby supply system, and there is a reason for that. Folks will continue to ignore the "non-hardening thread sealant" proviso regardless, for whatever reasons; if one is looking for the correct answer, it is a non-hardening thread sealant.

shermanator
11/15/2014, 07:22 PM
You are not supposed to use teflon tape on plastic threaded fittings

For what it's worth, Spears says using teflon tape is good practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auyhm7YKQEI

uncleof6
11/15/2014, 08:06 PM
I saw that too. But then they market their own teflon tape... making money always comes first. What tape does to plastic fittings does not change because Spears markets their own brand of "pvc compatible" teflon tape...

wolfblue
11/16/2014, 11:08 AM
PVC threads aren't supposed to need... but that doesn't help when its so tight its about to break and you will never get it apart again. I've never tried Spears Blue 75 but I imagine its like what I do use. Been using Blue Magic for years and love it. About $12 but a can will last almost forever in the home environment. Good for food service.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23140

d2mini
12/18/2014, 10:20 PM
What about Christy's "Ultra Seal" Soft Set, Grit Free Sealant?
This stuff good to use?

Once applied to both pieces, how tight does it need to be to make a water tight seal?

d2mini
12/19/2014, 10:57 AM
bump. :)