PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID

kizanne
11/15/2014, 12:41 PM
I wasn't sure which forum this would be best suited to. I have something in my tank that spawned. The spawn is a small red sperm looking thing. With the round part looking like an egg but it has a tail attached that wiggles back and forth quickly. I will try to get a picture to post but I'm still trying to find the correct animal genus yet alone species. The only fish in that tank are in breeders nets and seperated, so probably not fish. I have seen peppermint shrimp so not peppermint shrimp. I have live rock in that tank so my best guess is anything that is a bad hitchhiker or a clam or barnacle maybe

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9518&pictureid=66826

Any ideas?

Sugar Magnolia
11/15/2014, 12:43 PM
Mysids?

kizanne
11/15/2014, 01:08 PM
When I search for mysid spawn I'm not finding pictures that match the above. In the water it just looks like a dark red dot. I have a better picture now that shows a split tail.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9518&pictureid=66828

billdogg
11/15/2014, 02:06 PM
Looks sorta like a flatworm to me

Sugar Magnolia
11/15/2014, 02:48 PM
What corals do you have in the tank?

kizanne
11/15/2014, 04:28 PM
I hope it isn't flatworms but maybe. very large these red dots. maybe twice as big as a baby brine shrimp maybe 3 to 4 times bigger.

I have some tubnaria on the live rock (I think) and I have a gonaporia frag and a montipora frag. There is a clove frag. I don't really have any frags large enough to be in the contender on this one I think. My luck it is aptasia spawn.

Teenreefer15
11/15/2014, 04:46 PM
Lets hope its not flatworms because after seeing simuangco on youtube treat for flatworms with flatworm exit. There were a few deaths from the toxins in the flatworms. So its better to treat for them sooner than later before they multiply.

kizanne
11/15/2014, 04:52 PM
Most flatworms I'm familiar are the small ones that like light and end up covering coral. This seems very large to be their spawn. That is the one thing that is confusing me is the size. The red dot is visible to the naked eye. The tail you kinda need the microscope.

I've just had the worst luck so far with my live rock I am sure it has to be something bad.LOL

I've had mantis shrimp and isopods in the live rock. My cycle end with bryopsis. Everything is just now really turned around going the other direction so this must be something bad. Parasitic flukes would be just about right, but I hope not. I just got the frags a week or so ago to see if they can take the tank.

jamescstein
11/27/2014, 07:18 PM
Maybe some sort of squirt or tunicate? That is just a guess. There are some pictures online that sort of look like that but without the split tail.