PDA

View Full Version : Help in the uk

Topchop
11/15/2014, 01:00 PM
Hi, I'm just setting up my 200lt tank(this is all I have room for) which came with an oceanlife overflow, not sure if many of you are familiar with this, but it is very noisy.

I am going to change to a bean animal style overflow, but here in the UK every time I mention this I get a vacant look As though I'm talking a foreign language.

Could anybody point me in the right direction, ie, some good reading on this subject, also what size would the 3 bulkheads need to be for this of size tank.

Thanks.

thegrun
11/15/2014, 06:08 PM
Welcome to Reef Central! I'm not sure of the common metric size but here in the US I would use 1" drain lines (around 25mm). You are looking for somewhere between 1000-1500 liters per hour of flow through your sump, so the 25mm+- size would be just about right. If you use the search button and type in Bean Animal you will get the specific directions. Good luck!

garyinco
11/15/2014, 07:38 PM
Jump over to the DIY forum and look for a thread titled "Silent and Failsafe Overflow System". That should keep you reading for awhile. I takes a lot of planning to get one correct, but when you do they are silent, not quiet but silent. I get the same stares with a lot of LFS stores. To me that's probably an indication I won't go there much in the future. If they don't follow their own industry enough to at least know what one is I figure they won't be too good on other things either.

I'd take your same post above and add it to the Silent and Failsafe Overflow System thread.

There is also Bean Animal's site (http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx) with the principles and pieces.

I thought this website (http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php) did a good job with the subject.

Topchop
11/16/2014, 03:54 AM
Thanks so far, I was thinking I would need 2000lt per hour, ie 10 times my tank, my return pump is a 2000lt, obviously this is stated capacity and not the actual amount It's pumping.
So I may need to go slightly Larger bulkhead/Pipe size.
Cheers.