PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the best out of a flasher with another male

Moort82
11/15/2014, 03:45 PM
I have a Yellow fin flasher who has been great for the last year or so but stopped displaying after a couple of weeks. I've tried sourcing females but its proven near impossible so far to get the right species (it came in as a carpenters itself).
So my question is would another male of a similar species like Paracheilinus mccoskeri bring out a positive effect. ie would it be more inclined to flash at each other (seen a few smaller tanks with them together where this occurred) or would because they are so similar, there be problems? Do they know they are different? as I know in the wild they aren't particularly fussy which species they breed with.

So essentially could it bring out more activity in the existing male? cause fights? or stress it out? Would prefer to keep things as they are if there is much risk involved.

TIA

eatbreakfast
11/15/2014, 05:22 PM
The above scenarios are all possible. In some cases the males will flash but otherwise coexist, in other cases the dominant flasher will chase the other relentlessly. Using a social acclimation box will help to see which reaction you will get.

In my experience they recognize they are different species as males of the same species are more aggressive towards one another than they are to other congenerics.

Deinonych
11/16/2014, 10:00 AM
I have a Yellow fin flasher who has been great for the last year or so but stopped displaying after a couple of weeks. I've tried sourcing females but its proven near impossible so far to get the right species (it came in as a carpenters itself).
So my question is would another male of a similar species like Paracheilinus mccoskeri bring out a positive effect. ie would it be more inclined to flash at each other (seen a few smaller tanks with them together where this occurred) or would because they are so similar, there be problems? Do they know they are different? as I know in the wild they aren't particularly fussy which species they breed with.

So essentially could it bring out more activity in the existing male? cause fights? or stress it out? Would prefer to keep things as they are if there is much risk involved.

TIA

I am experiencing a similar situation. My Blue Flasher (P. cyaneus) reverted back to a sub-male/IP a few months ago - lost his filaments and bold coloration. In October, I introduced a McCosker's in the hopes of getting the Blue back to TP. So far, it seems to be working. The Blue is slowly growing his filaments back, and is displaying a lot more than before. The Blue is the dominant fish, but doesn't really bully the McCosker's apart from occasionally darting at him and displaying (which is fine). The McCosker's has kept his TP coloration and dorsal filament so far as well. They are the only wrasses in the tank so far, although I plan to add a C. exquisitus and C. lineatus eventually.

evolved
11/17/2014, 11:14 AM
The above scenarios are all possible. In some cases the males will flash but otherwise coexist, in other cases the dominant flasher will chase the other relentlessly. Using a social acclimation box will help to see which reaction you will get.

In my experience they recognize they are different species as males of the same species are more aggressive towards one another than they are to other congenerics.
Agree, and those have been my observations as well. Although, it amazes me a bit the closely related species can discern between themselves, when the average aquarist, let alone the average observer, have no idea!