PDA

View Full Version : New tank equipment list

Crooked Reef
11/16/2014, 06:21 AM
So i recently was given a used reef setup. Just had to go the the guy's house and break it down and move it. Most corals went into my current tank (around 60 to 80 heads of a candycane, bubbly coral, huge blasto, tiny frogspawn, ORA birdsnest and a very sick brain), the others were traded in to my lfs (clove polyps, kenya tree and some zoanthids). Sand was dumped and will be replaced. Rock is freezing off any unwanted life outside and will be cleaned, possibly acid bathed. I wanted to know what everyones opinion of the equipment that was with it and what should be replaced with better. I currently have a 65 gallon mixed reef so I do know how to set up and maintain a tank.

Tank is a 45 gallon custom built tank [36X18X16]. Drilled in the back with one drain and one return. Sump is a 20 gallon long. I removed the two baffles that were in it and am going to rebuild the sump.

Lighting is two current 24" double t-5 HO with ATI bulbs. 4 bulbs total. Bulbs are way overdue to be replaced.

TLF phosban 150 reactor with a marineland mj1200.

Coralife super skimmer 65 with a rio 1100 needle wheel pump.

Unknown heater - will be replaced with a titanium heater or a jager if needed. My current tank does not need a heater or chiller due to the climate controlled room it is in. This tank will be in the same room but it is a different water volume so I will decide during cycling if a heater is actually needed.

Return pump is a quiet one 2200.

Mark Bianco
11/16/2014, 07:31 AM
I have had many skimmers including a coralife and it was close to the bottom of my listas far as skimmers go. The skimmers I have been happiest with are the Reef Octopus recerc line.

gone fishin
11/16/2014, 07:54 AM
I agree about the skimmer. I used one of those quite a few years back and was never happy with it. Mine was just to touchy.