PDA

View Full Version : 20g tank maintenance

headcheese
11/16/2014, 02:15 PM
i have an aquatop biocube 21g with a skimmer and a pump.

in the back compartment next to the skimmer there is a filter with 3 baskets filled with these white rock donut things.

water flows from skimmer down thru donut filter area where my pump pushes it back to the surface.

what kind of maintenance is needed with this filter setup?

thanks

Teenreefer15
11/16/2014, 06:45 PM
It sounds as if your using ceramic media. You can just replace this every 2-3 months with some fluval ceramic media that they cell for cheap at petsmart

Jeff210
11/16/2014, 07:08 PM
The white rock donut things are bio-media - you probably don't want to replace those as they build up beneficial bacteria - maybe just rinse lightly when you do water changes...

However, you probably don't need all 3 compartments filled with them - you can get media bags of carbon and other chemicals to put in the other compartments...for instance you can buy Fluval carbon and 'clearmax' media bags at petco or petsmart for use in canister filters but they would work in your baskets as well...

I would leave the bio-media (donuts) in the 2 bottom baskets and put carbon and clearmax in the top basket (provided they both will fit)...

cloak
11/17/2014, 11:57 AM
I would just take out the bio media and use those compartment to run GAC or GFO if you need to. The live rock in your tank along with everything else that's submerged should be plenty as far as a biological filter is concerned.