PDA

View Full Version : need pump size advice

Remmers
11/17/2014, 06:19 AM
Im going to be setting up a 5ft 150gal tank, and its a peninsula style tank, the plumbing is going to be running about 4 feet across the tank 45 off the bulkhead and then 45 into the basement, where it will 45 again to get to the sump which will be about another 4ft down.

I will be building a sump out of a 90 gallon tank, my question is what kind of pump or rating should I plan for with those distances.

This is going to be a slow project as I am doing it right and taking as much time as I need, Since this will be our display tank in the living room it can take as long as needed.

I want the sump in the basement so everything is in one place and also due to the stand height.

I can run either internal or external since its down stairs in the laundry room.

I am planning on a separate circuit just for this set up.

I was thinking some where around 2500 gph and this would be just for the return, I will run a separate pump for the manifold.

I know its a lot of questions, but since this is going to be a project, I want to "blue print" the whole thing, get a parts list and start getting stuff, so I'm not just trying to do it in a weekend and making 30 trips to lowes or ordering stuff on line.

I once heard if you are going to do it do it right, and go big or go home :)

Jeff210
11/17/2014, 09:45 AM
First you need to determine what your overflow/drain rate is going to be (diameter of pipe, GPH through that pipe , number of drain pipes - there are tables on the web that you can use to determine the flow rate through a certain diameter pipe).

Then you need to calculate the head loss for pumping the distance you are with the number of elbows, etc. (I believe there is a sticky here that you can use but I'm not sure where it is). Individual pump specs typically also list head loss.

Once you know how many GPH you will be draining and how many GPH head loss you will have, you will need a pump whose output = GPH drain rate + GPH head loss.

I believe you will need an external pump to achieve the correct GPH pump rate...

Remmers
11/17/2014, 03:13 PM
Well I looked at teh location of where the tank is going to go and there will be at max 10ft of head loss. The out take pipe is 1-1/2 and the return is 3/4"

I know I will need a external pump, just need to get a idea as what size i should start looking at. I would rather be a little bigger then not enough

Thanks

Rich

SGT_York
11/17/2014, 04:15 PM
You will get all sorts of recommendations, I prefer high flow so ballpark of 2,500GPH is spot on.

Don't calcuate your pump based on your overflow, design your overflow to be adequate for the flow you want. Look into a herbie or drain and you won't be disapointed. Bean Animal is great but you need to remove the horizontal run for it to function properly.

With headloss each style of pump is different in terms of volume and pressure, high pressure pumps don't loose out so much due to headloss when compared to high volume low pressure pumps. Check the headloss charts on each type of pump you are anticipating. I prefer PanWorld as they are cheap and reliable, but they are noisy if that is a factor. Reeflo is a great pump as well. There are also some good DC pumps that I've heard good things about.

Last comment do not go with 3/4" return pipes. Friction loss is much higher with smaller diameter pipes, (more surface area per volume so much higher loss) Go 1.25 or 1.5" pipes for the return. For drain pipes 1.5 or 1.25 will be perfect regardless of your flow particuarly if you go with a Herbie drain system.

Jeff210
11/18/2014, 10:17 AM
Don't calcuate your pump based on your overflow, design your overflow to be adequate for the flow you want. Look into a herbie or drain and you won't be disapointed. Bean Animal is great but you need to remove the horizontal run for it to function properly.

I believe he already has the tank so my responses were based on it's current configuration...

Rich - if you are open to modifying your tank (drilling new holes, enlarging existing holes) - SGT_YORK has excellent recommendations...

However, if you are going to make modifications, make sure check with the tank manufacturer regarding minimum distant required in between holes to maintain structural integrity...

fairyanna
12/18/2014, 05:57 AM
As stated the MAG pumps are probably your best bet w/o spending lots-o-money. They are noisy and aren't effecient but they can move water when there is head pressure. I have a MAG36 that I used for my pond to push water through 40+ ft of horizontal pipes + 6 ish feet up.... I could hear the thing 20 feet away.