PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone QT new additions?

Vapour1ze
11/17/2014, 10:50 AM
Long story short, I had ich and brook breakout in my tank. Pulled everything and am leaving my tank fallow for 10 weeks.

I have clowns in QT right now and am doing formalin dips and treating with copper... Now, once my clowns are back to health (assuming all goes well) and I want to add them back to the display. They will be my only fish. Once I get a new fish... How does everyone do the QT process? Should I just pull water from my established tank? Acclimate the new fish to the QT in my existing tank water... and begin treating with "Paraguard" or "Copper" on a whim for 14 days? And then wait 2 more weeks and observe and then enter into the tank?

I can't find much about how people do this... Obviously I want to avoid the fiasco I am currently enduring.

Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

DDon
11/17/2014, 11:13 AM
My QT protocol is:
I run all new fish through tank transfer as a precaution against ich, treating with prazipro on the second and fourth transfers for flukes.
Fish are then placed in QT tank for observation for 3-4 weeks. If all is good then into the display.
I prefer not to treat with meds if I don't need to but prazipro is pretty gentle so I don't mind doing a prophylactic treatment for flukes.
I initially match my water's salinity to the water from the LFS or shipping bag and slowly adjust during QT to match my display tank water. This way I can just acclimate for temperature when I receive the fish.

Pife
11/17/2014, 11:20 AM
My QT protocol is:
I run all new fish through tank transfer as a precaution against ich, treating with prazipro on the second and fourth transfers for flukes.
Fish are then placed in QT tank for observation for 3-4 weeks. If all is good then into the display.
I prefer not to treat with meds if I don't need to but prazipro is pretty gentle so I don't mind doing a prophylactic treatment for flukes.
I initially match my water's salinity to the water from the LFS or shipping bag and slowly adjust during QT to match my display tank water. This way I can just acclimate for temperature when I receive the fish.

Written perfectly!

+1

gone fishin
11/17/2014, 11:41 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1846124

I use TTM then prazi. Put into final QT tank for 12 weeks and observe treat if necessary.