PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove copper after treatment?

Vapour1ze
11/17/2014, 02:41 PM
I am currently running cupramine in a qt tank on my two clowns... Once treatment is complete. I am supposed to run carbon obviously. But how? Reactor? Bag in the HOB Filter? I'm new to the QT game.

Thanks

billdogg
11/17/2014, 03:14 PM
It will be most effective in a reactor. If the treatment is done, can't the fish be placed in the DT and then just dump out the QT?

Vapour1ze
11/17/2014, 03:16 PM
Well, yes in theory. However I have to leave my tank fallow for 10 weeks since ICH broke out... Treatment is already happening on the clowns because I didn't want to lose them. I don't want to have them in copper for 10 weeks....

thegrun
11/17/2014, 03:16 PM
Make a large water change and use carbon. The carbon is more effective in a reactor, but a bag in the HOB filter will work.

slief
11/17/2014, 03:42 PM
Carbon is essential. You can also use SeaChem Cuprisorb.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/CupriSorb.html

cabinetman123
11/17/2014, 04:43 PM
I second the cuprisorb. I coppered my 300 rocks and all and after running cuprisorb for 2 months I started adding coral. One year later it was a beautiful reef. My sig shows what it looked like a year after copper.

asonitez
11/17/2014, 04:47 PM
Cuprisorb. I Coppered an Entire 180 Gallon tank filled with fish and liverock. I nuked my entire tank including the sump. I only removed the corals and chaeto and as many snails and hermits as I could. I nuked it for 5 weeks. Then I did super aggressive water changes (like I did a Full tank water change twice 1 week apart and during this time I was running Cuprisorb 24/7 in a Reactor in addition to Carbon and Purigen. After about 2 weeks of running cuprisorb after the beads stopped turning blue... I left them in and added a few hermits and snails. Afte rthe hermits and snails I added a Lps and a SPS... once they did well I loaded my tank down. Coppering your entire tank is 100% possible and Reverse-able.

The Copper decimated my biological filter but it didn't kill it completely. I used Instant Ocean Bio-Spira to kick start my bio filter after the treatment.

JoelA7
01/18/2015, 02:18 AM
Cabinetman and asonetiz did either of you have sand beds and dumb question coming but presumably not a snail vermetid or otherwise left in tank when done. Please advise!

asonitez
01/18/2015, 07:42 PM
I have a 2 inch bed and some snails lived the larger ones but most died. I never changed my sand bed

JoelA7
01/18/2015, 08:07 PM
I might do this to kill off the vermetid infestation. I could put all my softies in one 10 gallon tank with a high color temp led flood for two and a half months. When done the system would also be entirely ick free. Maybe the ten could be sort of a frag tank plus QT for future invert purchases.

Cabinetman123 what was your experience with snails. Thanks!