PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Lionfish Eating Fish.

shark2
11/17/2014, 05:04 PM
I am upgrading my 40 gallons to a 75 gallon tank.

I currently have
2 mandarins
2 clownfish
4 spotted cardinal fish
1 yellow tang (small)
1 hippo tang (small)

What I want to add
2 dwarf lionfish
1 marine betta
6 firefish
6 blue green chromis
4 seahorses
1 flame angel
1 coral beauty
4 bicolor goatfish
1 walking batfish

Will a dwarf lion fish eat any of these fish? If so which ones?

Betta132
11/17/2014, 05:09 PM
Get rid of one of the mandarins before they starve.
Get rid of the tangs, they need more space. Also, they grow fast, it doesn't matter that they're small. They're going to get freaked out and wound up when big, and therefore they will kill things.
What kind of clownfish?

Marine betta is a bit too large and will eat small fish
Firefish will kill each other off until you only have one
Green chromis will kill each other off until you only have one
Seahorses ARE NOT A COMMUNITY TANK FISH. They need to be in a specially set up tank that's slightly cooler than most tanks, plus they need fairly low flow and they can't be with most other fish.
Goatfish are too large and need much more space to move around.
Walking batfish needs dim light, needs a bit more space, is a bad community fish, and will probably eat small fish.

Lionfish will eat:
Mandarins
Clownfish
Cardinals
Baby tangs
Chromis
Firefish
Seahorses
Young angelfish

SoloChromis
11/17/2014, 07:02 PM
2 mandarins - Make sure they're eating prepared foods.
2 clownfish - Should be fine
4 spotted cardinal fish - Should be fine
1 yellow tang (small) - Should be fine
1 hippo tang (small) - Will outgrow the 75g

2 dwarf lionfish - just one, but I would ditch the smaller fish if you go this route, anything that could fit in his mouth will be eventually eaten.

1 marine betta - Practically bullet proof, very cryptic, long lived, but like the dwarf lion, will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth.

6 firefish - The 6 which eventually wither down to 1-2, they aren't true "schooling" fish, and can in fact be quite territorial with each other. They're relatively hardy, but *will* be swallowed by many of the fish on this list.

6 blue green chromis - Like the firefish, they will quickly wither down to 1-2 individuals. So unless you truly like the turquoise coloration of these guys, skip em.

4 seahorses - Require their own tank and are best left to experienced hobbyists.

1 flame angel - Relatively hardy, and mildly territorial.

1 coral beauty - IME hardier and more peaceful than flames.

4 bicolor goatfish - No way.

1 walking batfish - Not unless you want to purge the majority of this list.

Firefish, chromis, clowns, tangs, dragonets and dwarf angels should all coexist peacefully, but the betta, batfish, lion, and seahorses are require more specialized tank settings. Good luck :dance:

jaa1456
11/17/2014, 09:13 PM
Go back and RESEARCH and the. When you're done RESEARCH some more and when you think you are good to go RESEARCH some more. That list you compiled has way to many fish listed for a 75. If you want the dwarf lions then by all means have them, but that's all that I would keep off of that list. If you want other fish off of that list, skip the lions and betta. I would also skip the Mandrins completely. Not to be rude but if you are asking about the compatibility of this fish list, you aren't ready or prepared to keep mandarins. Skip the tangs all together.

fishhuman
11/17/2014, 09:57 PM

I currently have
2 mandarins
2 clownfish
4 spotted cardinal fish
1 yellow tang (small)
1 hippo tang (small)

What I want to add
2 dwarf lionfish
1 marine betta
6 firefish
6 blue green chromis
4 seahorses
1 flame angel
1 coral beauty
4 bicolor goatfish
1 walking batfish

Will a dwarf lion fish eat any of these fish? If so which ones?

Did you research any of this before posting the list? Correct me of I'm wrong but you seem fairly new to the hobby, do you realize that 7 of these fish are listed as EXPERT ONLY and are recommended only for extremely advanced aquarists and public aquariums. Also most of the fish on your list are incompatible.

The dwarf lionfish, batfish, and marine betta are all predators in nature, that will not change in your tank. They will eat the firefish, chromis, tangs if they actually are small( or are you just saying that so to not be flamed), cardinal fish, clownfish, and mandarins.

Also firefish NEVER EVER EVER do well in groups and especially in a relatively small tank like yours they will fight to the death. Same with the chromis unless in a large tank >150 gallons.

As others have told you the mandarins will starve if there are two competing for the same food.

The seahorses, batfish, and arguably marine betta require non aggresive tankmates as they are slow feeders( that means no tangs, angels, or clownfish among others) and the seahorses require cooler than reef tempuratures.

The fish that grow to large for your tank are the goatfish ( need 125 ), and blue hippo tang( needs 240 gallons) NO MATTER HOW SMALL IT IS NOW.

Also there are 36 fish on your stocking list, most 300 gallon tanks have less fish than that. That is wayyyyyyy too many fish for a 75 gallon tank. Most people would recommend under 12 fish for a tank this size.

Overall this is a very irresponsible fish stocking list. That's okay if you are new to the hobby you didn't know any better, my first stocking list was very irresponsible too untill others corrected me. It may seem like people are jumping on you but everybody here just wants to help you. You seem way to eager and if you go through with this stocking list many fish will die, so please don't.

Whiterabbitrage
11/17/2014, 10:02 PM
NFK
Newbie Fish Killer :sad1:

Please be joking about that stocking list...

Whiterabbitrage
11/18/2014, 12:40 AM
I'm sorry for sounding harsh, Shark. I don't want to be mean. But! If you really want to be successful keeping marine fish, get some books and start studying. Otherwise every fish you get will die in a few months and that's expensive. Also cruel to the fish, if you care about that. Hopefully you are a nerd who likes reading/ learning. If you aren't the type of person to enjoy studying, and still want to have marine fish, you could pay someone to care for them. Most fish stores can send someone out for water changes and equipment maintenance. Then you can still enjoy the fish without the work.

shark2
11/23/2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. I did some modifications. Check it out here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23280463#post23280463

m0nkie
11/23/2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice. I did some modifications. Check it out here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23280463#post23280463

I currently have
2 mandarins
2 clownfish
4 spotted cardinal fish
1 yellow tang (small)
1 hippo tang (small)

What I want to add
6 stripped shrimp fish
1 long horn cowfish
6 blue green chromis
4 seahorses
1 flame Angel
1 coral beauty
4 hogfish
1 walking batfish

like people already said.. those 4 seahorses will die. and those 6 chromis will turn into 1. The 6 stripped shrimpfish will also die. They do not belong in a regular tank.

You can get the shrimpfish, the mandarin, and the seahorse in 1 tank..

I think what you have already over stocked the 75 gallon with your current list. You need to think about their future size, not current size

Betta132
11/23/2014, 08:56 PM
Posted feedback on the other thread.
DO YOUR RESEARCH.
That is the single most important thing to do in this hobby.