PDA

View Full Version : Lighting suggestion for 120

chri
11/17/2014, 06:32 PM
Tank is gonna be 48x24x21 sps heavy. Trying to decide on led t5 or halides. don't want heat issues. if I go with leds I was looking at the hydra or vega. t5 I would go with ati and I have no clue about halides. please help

itzonlithai
11/17/2014, 10:01 PM
If you don't want heat issues, don't go halides

sirreal63
11/17/2014, 10:20 PM
Having or not having heat issues with any lighting is more about heat management than type of lighting. 250 watts of MH, T5 or LED is the same amount of heat. MH or T5 in a poorly ventilated canopy increases your chance of heat issues because it has no where to go. All submerged and enclosed wattage is going to add heat to the system. High wattage pumps have the chance to be more of an issue than lighting.

Design your system to be efficient in aspects other than lighting and you can run any lighting you want to run with no issues. No other reef tank lighting has a longer track record of fantastic results than MH. A pair of 250's is pretty much the easiest way to go with your tank size, but you could also do a pair of 150's just as easily.

GSMclowns
11/18/2014, 09:23 AM
It is in my opinion that if you are a beginner, stick with a good T5 set up. MH is good but it can get very hot. In some place like where I live, Boston, it get hot only in July and August but it get very humid. I put few fans over my tank and it just doesn't lower the temp. I even shut off the light, it doesn't help either. So in my case, it doesn't matter what light I use, I still get the heat issue for a few weeks of the year. So it depend on your location as well.

As for LED, I believe that it should only be used by the people that is more advance and patient. They know what a good and healthy corals look like. They understand the LED and know how to select the amount of white, blue, and other colors. If you don't understand the LED and randomly turning up or down the amount of red, violet, blue or whatever color that you decided that you like, then it is the quickest way to mess up your tank.

pdiehm
11/18/2014, 09:30 AM
Not sure when, but I'm going to be getting the Photon 48 for my 5' 120 gallon. Will sit about 10" off the water, should give plenty of coverage (according to reefbreeders).

SaltwaterAq
11/18/2014, 09:35 AM
A pair of Hydra 52, Radion G3 or Kessil A360WE's for SPS.