PDA

View Full Version : Which Apex to Buy?

MattyO
11/17/2014, 07:34 PM
I'm setting up a 220g FOWLR Office Tank so I want to be able to monitor it on weekends and such. I am confused on what to get and haven't been able to find a breakdown of"if u want this then get that" online. Any help is appreciated as I've only had a RKE on my current 90G reef and want to go Apex.

Here is what I want equipment wise and its function

Display Module
Large Skimmer On/Off
2 Fish Only LED Lights On/Off
Mag 18 Return Pump On/Off
Neptune Auto Feeder Set Times to Feed
Temp Probe for...
4 300W Heaters On/Off at Set Temp
2 Fans On/Off at Set Temp
ATO Fill as Needed
UV Filter On/Off
2 Misc Reactors On/Off
2 Water Detectors to switch pumps On/Off
Under Tank Light for Maintenance On/Off
Might Need a Chiller in the Summer On/Off at set Temp

maddmaxx
11/17/2014, 07:43 PM
seems like your gonna want a full apex system with an extra EB8 power bar... i would also look into setting up two outlets on the wall that each are put on their own 20 amp breaker....and i dont believe 1200w in heaters will be necessary.. im goin to be running 2x300w jager heathers on my 220g

slief
11/17/2014, 08:02 PM
seems like your gonna want a full apex system with an extra EB8 power bar... i would also looking into setting up two outlets on the wall that each are put on 20 amp breakers each outlet....and i dont believe 1200w in heaters will be necessary.. im goin to be running 2x300w jager heathers on my 220g

What he said. Full Apex, two EB8's. A PH Probe and an ORP probe would be good things to include. I also agree on the heater. A 1200 watt heater would be way overkill. Heck, depending on your pump choice, you may not even need a heater and could end up needing a chiller.

Yellow Eyes
11/17/2014, 08:03 PM
Yeah I agree with the full apex with an extra EB8 powerbar. You'd also need the autofeeder (AFS...doesn't require an outlet, just plugs into the powerbar via the Aquabus port). For leak detection you would need the ALD unit with as many of the detection probes you want. For your ATO if you want float switches you would need the breakout box and float switches...which I believe may also be your "water detectors"?

List version:
Full Apex (this comes with a PH and Temp probe, 1 eb8, display and "brain")
1 more EB8
1 AFS (auto feeder)
1 ALD (leak detector module)
x ALD probes (connect to ALD module)
1 Breakout box w/ float switches

Won't be cheap but will be worth it. So glad I got the Apex controlling my tank, so much more piece of mind.

MattyO
11/17/2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the quick and thorough responses.

On the ATO, is it worth it to get the module and switches or to just get a stand alone ATO like a JBJ?

As far as the heaters... Sometimes the heat is switched off over weekends and it will get to the low 50's so I know I need xtra heaters even with an insump return and skimmer.

Yellow Eyes
11/17/2014, 08:24 PM
For the ATO I just use a Tom's Aqua lifter pump and float switches. I like having it hooked up to the Apex because you can get an email/text alert. I also have an outlet that triggers after 5 minutes to shut off the ATO so it can't flood even if the float switch didn't trigger it to shut off.

I think the JBJ just has a noise to alert you (I think) which does no good if you aren't there.

SaltwaterAq
11/18/2014, 08:20 AM
Apex Gold System w/Extra Power Bar 8 & Auto Feeder.

slief
11/18/2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the quick and thorough responses.

On the ATO, is it worth it to get the module and switches or to just get a stand alone ATO like a JBJ?

As far as the heaters... Sometimes the heat is switched off over weekends and it will get to the low 50's so I know I need xtra heaters even with an insump return and skimmer.
You are better off using the Apex with float switches for the ATO as opposed to the JBJ. It gives you much more flexibility for pump selection than the JBJ offers. You can also build in better redundancy with the use of redundant float switches. You can add a salinity probe down the line and use that as part of your failsafes as well.

goncharkina
12/05/2014, 12:18 PM
I would definitely go with full apex, I bought most of the apex equipment, wireless options for Radions and Vorthechs are amazing. You can do lots of cool things with full apex.

ca1ore
12/05/2014, 03:00 PM
Bought the lite myself and have had little reason to regret the choice; I know it's been discontinued, though I wonder if NOS still exists. ORP is an essentially useless thing to measure and the dimming ports are better used with the add on module. Even if you do decide you need ORP, the separate module also give you a second, very useful temp probe capability.

unze
12/05/2014, 03:24 PM
You are better off using the Apex with float switches for the ATO as opposed to the JBJ.
I use a tunze top and use my apex float switch for alarms only. this way you have a better back up.