PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on Equipment for new nano-

reeferaddict
11/17/2014, 08:45 PM
After keeping a sump-less 29gl for 2 yr and upgrading to a 75 w over-flows I swore I'd never go back to not using a sump. Now I find myself in an apt, and after having to leave the old tank back in AL I'm in serious withdrawals and thought a Nano may be perfect.
I need to keep it small and I'm thinking about going back to a sump-less system to prevent any over flow onto my downstairs neighbors-
Anyone run a Nuvo 38? I found 1 not far from me on CL that has a kessil A360 light, neptune systems aqua controller Apex Jr, IM protein skimmer controller, prob 6-7 corals and 3 fish- 40lbs of fiji rock or so.... for $700--
I kinda think I should jump on it--

I've got a lead on a 29gl bio-cube for wayyyy less.... And I'm considering a 26 bowfront w external overflow and sump....

The Nuvo seems to be thriving- he says his levels are all good- and the corals and fish look healthy--

I havent been keeping up on new equipment and would love to hear others thoughts

Have many people had luck w the 29gl Bio Cube? Anyone tried the 38g Nuvo?

Thanks a ton

Djturna4thakidz
11/17/2014, 09:07 PM
I would do it. I recently got an IM nano and love it.

Greyson
11/17/2014, 10:09 PM
Ada ftw.

ExpensiveHobby
11/18/2014, 04:07 PM
After keeping a sump-less 29gl for 2 yr and upgrading to a 75 w over-flows I swore I'd never go back to not using a sump. Now I find myself in an apt, and after having to leave the old tank back in AL I'm in serious withdrawals and thought a Nano may be perfect.
I need to keep it small and I'm thinking about going back to a sump-less system to prevent any over flow onto my downstairs neighbors-
Anyone run a Nuvo 38? I found 1 not far from me on CL that has a kessil A360 light, neptune systems aqua controller Apex Jr, IM protein skimmer controller, prob 6-7 corals and 3 fish- 40lbs of fiji rock or so.... for $700--
I kinda think I should jump on it--

I've got a lead on a 29gl bio-cube for wayyyy less.... And I'm considering a 26 bowfront w external overflow and sump....

The Nuvo seems to be thriving- he says his levels are all good- and the corals and fish look healthy--

I havent been keeping up on new equipment and would love to hear others thoughts

Have many people had luck w the 29gl Bio Cube? Anyone tried the 38g Nuvo?

Thanks a ton

$700 seems like a lot, but honestly for that tank, with that light, and that controller.. pshhh.. that's very reasonable. If I was you I would call him and say 'I can do $500 cash right now, help a fellow reefer out I just moved here had to sacrafice my old tank' negotiate to $600

ItzJustinN
11/18/2014, 04:36 PM
jump on the nuvo

Lilmatty5dimes
11/18/2014, 05:30 PM
agree with expensivehobby. offer him $600. figure the apex is $200, kessil $300, and skimmer $100 and everything else is free. lol good luck and we want to see some pics of the new nuvo.

TL1000RSquid
11/18/2014, 06:31 PM
I just recently setup a Nuvo, so far I am pretty happy with it. I'd do as others said offer 600 but if you have to pay the full 700 you're getting a pretty good deal.

Greyson
11/19/2014, 04:21 AM
i wouldn't pay more than 500 for that setup.. you can get everything cheaper.

ExpensiveHobby
11/19/2014, 08:47 AM
i wouldn't pay more than 500 for that setup.. you can get everything cheaper.

not really. I have only seen 1 Nuvo tank on my local area CL or my local reef network ever and I am in a heavily populated area right between DC and baltimore.. It was 75 miles away from me and I bought it. And people who have kessils and apex usually keep them since there aren't many products better to upgrade to. Plus if the guy wants an already established tank and doesn't want to start from scratch waiting for the cycle and everything this is def a good deal.

Sure you may find each individual item separately for cheaper, but you don't want a tank shipped from a private seller and you don't want to be waiting around for 4 different different shipments of equipment.

reeferaddict
11/21/2014, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the input guys- I definitely plan to neg.
I felt the same about the tank and light- I haven't seen much better equip FS used- and the livestock all look healthy- Here's a pic from the ad-- trying to drive up this weekend if possible and check it out..
I only used a skimmer sporadically on my last tank w great results, I just do religious water changes- so I'm not too worried about that...
I'm thinking I'll probably be adding some eco-tech or hydror koralia pumps that I can program w the Apex... not sure but I'm thinking maybe a dosing pump at some point too if I can work in automated Ca supplement... I'm pretty stoked about the neptune to play w- anyone have exp. w the Appex Jr? I worried about leaving my last tank anytime I'd ever stay out overnight-
just having alarms set would put my mind at ease but the extra automation should be handy :lolspin:

reeferaddict
11/22/2014, 11:50 PM
Anyone use an Appex Jr. controller on their nano?
I know the 38gl is too small for a reactor- I always used kalk for Ca on my last tanks
Never used a dosing pump- any advice on equipment

From what I've read I could use the Eco-techs w it and program wave patterns and feeding times where all pumps shut down-

I've also read that I can adjust the color and intensity w the neptune using a Kessil A360- anyone use this combo?

If you have any input it'd be much appreciated-- I'm going to look at the tank in person tomorrow-
thanks

ExpensiveHobby
11/23/2014, 11:00 AM
IM makes a reactor specifically that tank. You can run carbon, GFO, bio pellets etc.

I dont have experience with the apex. A controller will probably be my absolute last purchase. I want get all the essentials first.

TL1000RSquid
11/23/2014, 11:40 AM
Anyone use an Appex Jr. controller on their nano?
I know the 38gl is too small for a reactor- I always used kalk for Ca on my last tanks
Never used a dosing pump- any advice on equipment

From what I've read I could use the Eco-techs w it and program wave patterns and feeding times where all pumps shut down-

I've also read that I can adjust the color and intensity w the neptune using a Kessil A360- anyone use this combo?

If you have any input it'd be much appreciated-- I'm going to look at the tank in person tomorrow-
thanks

Apex is a nice unit, never used it with a kessil though, I am running Radion XR30 on my Nuvo38. Radion has its own web based controller to program times, color ranges and intensity.

reeferaddict
11/27/2014, 01:39 AM
thanks guys

yeah a controller would have not been a priority for me- but this tank owner had it already- although now its really just a fancy temp. gauge, lol-
debating on buying other probes for salinity, orp, etc--
They are soo pricey- I would prob only want to control the lights, pumps
and monitor the temp, included- and I like ph or salinity- or both-
What do you guys feel is the most important parameter to monitor on a nano?

Also if anyone has experience w some vairable water movement in a Nuvo38 or anything really-- I'm looking at the IM return oscillator- and debating on adding a supplemental pump like a tunze or ecotech

TL1000RSquid
11/27/2014, 10:06 AM
Does it have an ATO already? Between ph and salinity I'd pick salinity first.

Stock pump in the Nuvo doesnt have enough output to be the only water movement, I was running mp10 but having some issues with it have a wp10 on it right now. Those oscillators are on my buy soon list though.