PDA

View Full Version : Kalk reactor or KALK in ATO

sandman12
11/17/2014, 09:17 PM
My main concern is to keep it as maintenance free as possible. I am considering a TLF reactor or the ATO method with a BRS dosing pump. It seems to me that the reactor would be less work but maybe not the best way to dose?

Stackemdeep
11/17/2014, 10:19 PM
I had a few maintenance issues with my old ATO float switches and switched to an Autoaqua Smart ATO dosing Kalk via my top off. A year later I report no maintenance issues and making up my buckets of Kalk is simple. I don't even clean them. The smart ATO uses an optical sensor and has a pump limit so it can't over load the system in a failure. I would call this as close to zero maintenance as possible and have very consistent Ca and KH levels. The prior two years I used a JBL double float system and battled issues with floats sticking (starfish, snails, etc) over pumping several times causing some tank stress.

liven learn
11/17/2014, 10:40 PM
Kalk in ato. And also have smart ato. Best money ever spent.

RocketEngineer
11/18/2014, 07:44 AM
Both methods work so its really a matter of your individual situation. Some folks have space for a large ATO container and don't mind having kalk in the water directly. Me, my large container for extended trips is an old aquarium but because the lid doesn't fully cover the top and I have a cat I went with a reactor to keep her safe.

The only advantage I know of running it in the ATO water vs using a reactor is that with a reactor you always get full strength where as with it in the ATO water you can reduce the concentration.

sandman12
11/18/2014, 11:44 AM
thanks, everyone. I appreciate and am looking for everyones ideas and thoughts.

SGT_York
11/18/2014, 04:13 PM
I loved my TLF kalk reactor, set up on a timer that switched it on for two minutes every two hours and have never had an issue, I think it is far easier to dump in a tablespoon of kalk every few days than mixing the ATO but both are so simple.

Glad I went with the TLF.

Bpb
11/18/2014, 04:25 PM
They will not have the same function exactly. Kalk in your ato alone can be adjusted to varying strengths, from super saturated with the addition to vinegar, to just the smallest amount of kalk powder and anything between. The positive of this is you can increase or decrease your strength as needed since your dose amount will be fairly constant.

The downside to that method is you'll be burning through ato pumps like no tomorrow. Fully saturated kalkwasser tore up every slow flow pump I tried within 6 months. Another setback is constantly mixing kalkwasser in a remote bucket, adding to the ato bucket, ect.

A reactor or stirrer will ideally be run in line with your ato. Ato adds water to the reactor, displacement will dose the tank. Benefit is you have no real wear and tear on your pump and it won't need frequent cleaning. You also just put a cup of kalkwasser ppowder in the reactor every few weeks and that's that. No more day to day maintenance.

Downside to a reactor is it only will ever dose a standard saturated solution. No modifying the dose especially if run on an ato.

So it seems to me that running a kalkwasser reactor inline with your ato is the ideal way to do it...but only if your ca/alk consumption and need for supplementation is equal to or greater than the amount you would evap. In that case it's a great way to supplement a calcium reactor or 2 part dosing system. Greatly reducing the need for dosing salts, or co2/media refills.

sandman12
11/18/2014, 04:36 PM
Bpb - That is pretty much what I was thinking. But I wont truly know whether or not the ATO method will work until I set it up and do it....Also It should be noted that I have a reef keeper with an SL1 so I can use my PH probe and controller to help things along.

sandman12
11/18/2014, 05:31 PM
So I am wondering if a kalk stirrer would be my best option and worth the added expense...?

Larz_1
11/18/2014, 05:46 PM
I been using a Tunze Osmolator for my ATO with an AquaMedic Kalk Stirrer in line for 4+ years now.
0 maintenance (other than adding Kalk powder).
Easy, Easy and rock solid.
The only way I'll go until I need to step up to dosing or a calcium reactor.

firemountain
11/19/2014, 01:04 AM
The only advantage I know of running it in the ATO water vs using a reactor is that with a reactor you always get full strength where as with it in the ATO water you can reduce the concentration.

I am looking into a Kalk Reactor as we speak, and this was a concern of mine as well. After a lot of thinking I am going to try something that I think may be a fix.

The concern for most is that when hooked into a reactor, you are dosing at full saturation. I am sure there are guys out there that are worried that their ATO may dump too much RO through the reactor, while filling up their sump before the ATO shuts off.

What if you split the line with a Y fitting right before RO water enters your sump. On one end...you will have your ATO filling up your sump with RO water. On the other end of the Y....you place a 1/4 " control valve that is routed to the reactor.

While the reactor will still dump saturated limewater, you can use the control valve to split the percentage of how much RO water enters your sump via ATO, and how much RO water is sent through the Y'ed control valve and into the reactor.

At least this way you can better regulate the amount of saturated limewater that is going into your sump. You are still going to have to run tests, but at least this way with the control valve, you can just open the valve more if you want more limewater.

While I know the above sounds a bit unorthodox, and quiet honestly it may not the best method, I am thinking this may be an option for those who just need kalk as a small boost to round out their numbers in conjunction with their water change schedule and want to utilize a reactor.

The reason I came up with this is that I run my ATO in my basement, and the RO tubing is routed up to the first floor and through a wall. I didn't want to worry about replacing line prematurely due to the Kalk eating away at the inside of the line. In addition, my ATO pump is a Liter Meter3 basic dosing pump, and the soft silicone tubing I didn't want to worry about servicing/replacing it ALOT sooner than normal.

Any thoughts??

d2mini
11/19/2014, 04:54 PM
Any thoughts??

In theory, it sounds pretty good.

garyinco
11/19/2014, 08:12 PM
If you have the means to run two different sub systems I would consider that. They could both feed off the same water reservoir. Have one, with the BRS dosing pump, that timed doses into a kalk reactor and then your tank. Have your ATO setup just pump in straight RO water. That way you can adjust to get the amount of kalk you need, without too much that swings your pH up and down too much every time the ATO gets a call to refill. The amount of kalk you want to add will vary over time with calc/alk demand and other variables in your tank.

I have an Avast kalk reactor, really like it - so easy to refill the lime powder.

firemountain
11/20/2014, 01:08 AM
If you have the means to run two different sub systems I would consider that. They could both feed off the same water reservoir. Have one, with the BRS dosing pump, that timed doses into a kalk reactor and then your tank. Have your ATO setup just pump in straight RO water. That way you can adjust to get the amount of kalk you need, without too much that swings your pH up and down too much every time the ATO gets a call to refill. The amount of kalk you want to add will vary over time with calc/alk demand and other variables in your tank.

I have an Avast kalk reactor, really like it - so easy to refill the lime powder.

I currently let my ATO run when the sump needs RODI water, but I know that it's a good practice to run the Kalk at night to avoid the ph swings. I guess running both the Kalk and ATO separately is the better way to go.

cidbozek
12/11/2014, 05:12 PM

Garyinco I just purchased the you build k2 kit and dosing pump. I want to set it up just like you are describing, ok to pm you next week when I get it?

garyinco
12/11/2014, 06:40 PM
...ok to pm you next week when I get it?

Absolutely. You'll like it.

Skim
12/11/2014, 06:55 PM
I have the TLF Kalk Reactor and like it. I have hooked up to my ATO which is a 5 Gal. bucket with lid that has a hole in it to run the pluming and holds the Cobalt 1200 power head. When sump drops a little its topped up with Kalk water. It seems to work quite well so far for me holds PH at 8.2 and Alk at 4-4.5/Meq. I have had it running for close to 2 months and have filled it twice, first time with half cup and then rinsed it and filled with full cup and have had no problems. When pump comes on big cloud of Kalk starts to stir all in all I would recommend the TFL Reactor.

Incaico
12/12/2014, 12:02 AM
I have the TLF kalk reactor as well and really like it. It is also hooked up to my ATO reservoir