PDA

View Full Version : What are these

ynot65
11/18/2014, 03:02 AM
Did a tank cleaning yesterday and cleaned out the normal amount of garbage from my sun coral tank. I put a lot of emphasis on removing as many as possible,bristle worms, there are many.
However in turning some of the rock work over I noticed these bristles covering several areas of the rock. What is it ? Eggs ?
Just extra bristles ?

shesacharmer
11/18/2014, 08:58 AM
Why are you removing good detrivores from your tank?

ynot65
11/18/2014, 09:32 AM
I removed around 150 of them from a 55gal, I'm sure there's more than enough left!

Sugar Magnolia
11/18/2014, 11:44 AM
Hard to tell from that picture. It could be bryozoans. They also thrive in nutrient rich tanks, just like bristleworms do.

ahmed_iAM
11/18/2014, 12:17 PM
If it's bristle worms you want to remove, put some shrimp into pantyhose at night. The worms will get stuck to it. Pull them out in the morning.

dfm34
11/18/2014, 04:43 PM
If it's bristle worms you want to remove, put some shrimp into pantyhose at night. The worms will get stuck to it. Pull them out in the morning.

I don't understand why you would remove bristle worms they are an excellent part of cuc

ahmed_iAM
11/18/2014, 04:52 PM
I don't understand why you would remove bristle worms they are an excellent part of cuc
I personally don't care for them. I find them unsightly. My hands also tend to swell up when they get bristles in them from reaching in the tank. Nothing against the worms. I personally just don't care for them.

Stevenliu9
11/18/2014, 06:57 PM
Not easy to make out from the photos, but my guess is some sort of sponge. Sponge comes in all shapes and sizes and tend to thrive at nutrient rich tanks.

ynot65
11/24/2014, 12:56 AM
I'm not convinced of their innocence toward the other inhabitants of my tank. They seem to work their way up and under every coral I have regardless of what it is or how it's attached. What's to stop them from eating pods or any other welcome live food sources if they are eating everything else ?

Xavibear
11/24/2014, 05:51 PM
I'm not convinced of their innocence toward the other inhabitants of my tank. They seem to work their way up and under every coral I have regardless of what it is or how it's attached. What's to stop them from eating pods or any other welcome live food sources if they are eating everything else ?

They are detritus eaters. They don't eat things that are alive.