PDA

View Full Version : Clown hates new additions

Washout
11/18/2014, 12:33 PM
Heya RC,

I have a 140g tank. I haven't added any fish for quite some time now, but I finally was able to come across a Flame Hawkfish and I had to grab it, I also added a juvenile Tomini Tang when I picked it up as well.

Last night I added them to the display and within about 10 minutes my female Ocerllaris clown went absolutely nuts on these 2 fish, especially the Tomini Tang, which she took chunks of it's fins out. I turned off the lights which did calm her down, I did get her and her mate in a net during the night and put them in my sump in the meantime. This clown was one of the first additions to this tank, and I have never seen her act like this when adding new livestock.

Would you advise putting this fish back in the display after some time? Or should I perhaps look at finding a new home for the pair? (I'd prefer keeping them together)

Thanks,

Nina51
11/18/2014, 01:13 PM
if your clowns are near breeding age, they will be very aggressive to new additions. you could leave them in a sump time-out for a few days and then use an acclimation box when you re-introduce them to your dt.

TangySushi
11/18/2014, 01:49 PM
Yeah taking the aggressive clowns will sometimes work. Leave them out for a few days, then if you can rescape the rocks before adding them back in. It makes the fish feel like their in a different part of the ocean, and they'll have to make new terroritories sometimes accepting the other fish as non-trespassers