PDA

View Full Version : RoCV with booster pump.

UWUALineman
11/18/2014, 07:56 PM
Is it possible to utilize an RO/DI system setup with a booster pump and pressure switch ASO with the RoCV?
Would I be able to add an expansion socket on the RoCV side of the Storm unit to accommodate the RoCV unit and the booster pump, to engage the booster pump while it sends voltage to open or close the solenoid for feed water? RoCV open and booster pump running. RoCV closed, booster pump off.
Unless the RoCV runs backwards.

Thanks for the help.

GenesisReefSys
11/20/2014, 06:58 AM
I think you would be able to do that with no problem, as long as your booster pump and ROCv™ draw less than 2.5A combined. There is a fuse on the auxiliary outlet that protects the STORM™ Control Module from a malfunctioning device that will open if the current draw is greater than 2.5A for longer than a few seconds or so.

Otherwise, you can install the ROCv™ on the output side of your RO unit after the booster pump's pressure switch, and when the STORM™ opens the ROCv™ the pressure in the RO unit will drop and should turn your booster pump on.

UWUALineman
11/20/2014, 11:09 AM
So my existing float valve would be a fail safe and I would use the high and low sensors to accommodate the entire on and off sequences of my RODI for my top off barrel correct?

GenesisReefSys
11/22/2014, 10:17 AM
That's correct - the ROCv™ Min and Max Level Sensors would be mounted in your top off bin, and whenever the water level drops to the Min sensor the STORM™ will start the production of water through your RO unit, then when it fills up to the Max sensor the STORM™ will stop production of water and stand by until it is time to refill your top off bin again (while still topping off your sump whenever needed).

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kevin

UWUALineman
11/22/2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks. I have the system setup now. Other than tidying up the wires everything seems to run accordingly. I look forward to the improved results of my reef tank

GenesisReefSys
11/22/2014, 01:37 PM
What would cause the storm to top off while the renew is changing water? I was under the impression that the renew would suspend all storm activities until the discharging was complete.

The STORM™ will top off between exchange cycles being performed by the RENEW™. For instance, if the RENEW™ is set to perform 24 gallons per day, which means it will exchange one gallon per hour, the STORM™ will top off anytime necessary in the approximately 57 minutes between each water exchange cycle and the next.

Kevin

GenesisReefSys
11/22/2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks. I have the system setup now. Other than tidying up the wires everything seems to run accordingly. I look forward to the improved results of my reef tank

That's great! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kevin

UWUALineman
11/22/2014, 01:43 PM
Sorry bout that Kevin. They weren't communicating apparently the cord wasn't seated and it wasn't recognizing the renew at work. I tried it again and seen that the storm recognized the renew by the indicator and then suspended operation while a manual change was done.
There's a lot going on with this system but overall it's fairly simple in function.
For those with a booster pump I added the RoCV to the output side of the pressure switch and all is well.

Raoul5Duke
08/30/2016, 10:59 AM
I wanted to confirm the configuration from the post above as I just installed a booster pump and pressure sensor switch, but the pressure sensor switch is not operating correctly. I installed the booster pump after the RoCV and before the RO unit per the advice of Bulk Reef Supply and the pressure sensor switch after the RO output but before the DI Resins. So should I move the RoCV after the RODI unit? Does it matter if it goes after the RO but before the DI Resins? Any help would be appreciated.

GenesisReefSys
08/30/2016, 05:08 PM
Good evening Raoul5Duke,

In your situation with the booster pump I would recommend placing the ROCv™ after your pressure switch. When the ROCv™ allows the water to flow, your pressure switch will sense the drop in pressure, and it will kick your booster pump on.

The exact location of your ROCv™ isn't critical in most situations, depending on your setup. However, the most common installations are before the entire RODI system or after the entire RODI system.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Raoul5Duke
08/31/2016, 07:39 AM
Ok, I will give it a try. It turns on fine, but it doesn't seem to build up enough pressure when its off to activate the switch to turn off the booster pump.

Raoul5Duke
09/08/2016, 02:31 PM
Moving the ROCv after the unit initially seemed to work but occasionally the booster pump will still turn on when the ROCv is in the "monitoring" state but off due to the RO container being full. The only reason this should happen is if the pressure in the system drops below 40 psi but I would think it would shut off again once the pump pressurizes the system. Any thoughts on why this is occuring?