PDA

View Full Version : Releasing Unwanted fish in Ocean

Billybatz9
11/18/2014, 09:20 PM
I bought a tank that came with a Damsel that is super mean. He killed a fish and sea cucumber. Will releasing him in the ocean the next time that I go to the beach be mean? I just don't want him anymore. I can't put anything in the tank without him killing it. Then again, he killed them when they were all in a 10 gallon tank temporarily.

Scuba_Steve
11/18/2014, 09:25 PM
That is about the worst thing you can do. This is how ecosystems get disrupted with invasive species. Donate him to your LFS, or I hate to say it, flush him. Or banish him to your sump!

ska d
11/18/2014, 09:41 PM
How do you think the lionfish dilemma started.

tidus10
11/18/2014, 09:42 PM
I bought a tank that came with a Damsel that is super mean. He killed a fish and sea cucumber. Will releasing him in the ocean the next time that I go to the beach be mean? I just don't want him anymore. I can't put anything in the tank without him killing it. Then again, he killed them when they were all in a 10 gallon tank temporarily.

yea man lets not be irresponsible about this. :blown:

Bring him to the LFS and let him be someone else's issue

MikeTR
11/18/2014, 09:44 PM
[removed]

F4talreeefer
11/18/2014, 10:07 PM
No just please no take him to a LFS for credit or toward an item. The fish will die, and this is how non native species take over a ruin exo systems.

MMacro
11/18/2014, 10:09 PM
[removed]

That's a little cruel.

vair
11/18/2014, 10:13 PM
Sump

Fishmaster13
11/18/2014, 10:36 PM
That is absolutely the worst thing to do. Unlessmyou want to turn on the news and here that there is now a damselfish problem in the ocean and its your fault. That is exactly how the lion fish are in California, how pythons are in the Everglades, how gobies are in the Great Lakes, etc. don't do that it's the worse thing you could ever do. Give it to your LFS or even kill it if you have to, but DO NOT put it in the ocean! Btw it's not mean, it's just being itself. Your not mean because you ate a hamburger for lunch today. A cow died for that hamburger.

bayfocus
11/18/2014, 10:36 PM
Sump
I agree. Stick him in the sump :)

pyithar
11/18/2014, 10:38 PM
[removed]

is the fish still alive? i can't see clearly. if it's still alive, whoever did that video could simply return the fish to a fish store or give it away instead of shooting a video of him killing the fish and making annoying sounds. will he feed his dog to a lion if he doesn't like the dog anymore? the same logic applies to the fish IMO. they're all pets.

Raul-7
11/18/2014, 10:44 PM
True, but what's the difference between that and feeding a Gar guppies or RBP feeder mice?

pyithar
11/18/2014, 10:57 PM
ya that's kinda sad. i too have a 15 inches asian arowana but i never feed him live food for this reason. i feel bad for the ones that will be eaten alive. so i feed him raw shrimps. i aso taught him to eat hikari pellets by stuffing the pellets into the shrimps.

fearyaks
11/18/2014, 11:40 PM
So I had an jerk of a fish in quarantine. I called some of my LFS and just explained that I had an ******* fish and would they be interested in taking it off my hands (free, no credit needed). One that was close to me was happy to take it.

Please don't release it into the ocean.

RocketEngineer
11/19/2014, 08:03 AM
This is what happens when you do this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JnAbtkMdCoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EnderTurtle
11/19/2014, 08:12 AM
Youre not smart.

Roccus
11/19/2014, 08:25 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it is against the law in most states....

give it a time out in the sump...IF you can catch it...

Curt Boswelll
11/19/2014, 09:41 AM
Give it away to a fellow reefer?

Stopsignhank
11/19/2014, 10:11 AM
I bought a beautiful 2" red coris wrasse. Then I found out that not only does it change colors, but but it grows to about 18" long. I was able to donate it to a local aquarium so no one else would make the same mistake. That is also when I learned to research EVERYTHING before you buy it.

CODE3EMT
11/19/2014, 10:11 AM
Let's be realistic....... And not be chicken little "the sky is falling! The sky is falling!" Everyone in a panic about a damsel thrown out to sea, give me a break. Chances are that damsel would be lunch for a larger native fish by noon the day you release him into the wild or temperature would get to him if you live on the west coast. What's 1 damsel going to do....... Mate with a rock cod? or a great white shark? Get real guys.

Fade2White12
11/19/2014, 10:17 AM
Let's be realistic....... And not be chicken little "the sky is falling! The sky is falling!" Everyone in a panic about a damsel thrown out to sea, give me a break. Chances are that damsel would be lunch for a larger native fish by noon the day you release him into the wild or temperature would get to him if you live on the west coast. What's 1 damsel going to do....... Mate with a rock cod? or a great white shark? Get real guys.

It's about more than just this one fish. What if all of us within the hobby thought it was ok to release our livestock into the wild? Can you imagine a potential problem then?

A single incident is unlikely to cause significant harm, but a change philosophy and practice very well could.

JMorris271
11/19/2014, 02:03 PM
The most humane way to get rid of any unwanted fish besides gifting it is to give it a bath in clove oil. Painless and fast.

m0nkie
11/19/2014, 03:48 PM
This is what happens when you do this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JnAbtkMdCoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wow... didn't know that's how it is done. If this is LA, I'd volunteer to do this on weekends.

Coralful
11/19/2014, 04:01 PM
please bring back to lfs

JR8999
11/19/2014, 04:37 PM
Just to show that a few irresponsible individuals can destroy an ecosystem read the following article... Studies have shown that this serious lionfish infestation started in the 1980s with the release of approximately 12 (yes that is twelve!) fish in the waters off Florida.

http://www.nature.com/news/invasive-species-control-bounty-hunters-1.15916

Sk8r
11/19/2014, 05:07 PM
THe answer is no. It's illegal. It's irresponsible. It has already cost millions of dollars of damage in the Gulf and bids fair to wipe out native species.

The topic is closed.