PDA

View Full Version : RBTA Help - To keep or not to keep.

Vapour1ze
11/20/2014, 10:23 AM
Good morning everyone, I picked up a rbta and two clowns from a fellow reefer getting out of the hobby... Well in that time frame, the anemone has now split itself in to two. Both very healthy and look great! Super color and all!

I am getting more SPS frags, etc.. I have had these anemones move quite often. I am using a 93 Cube tank, so it's fairly easy for these things to move about and hit corals... I don't want to lose all my corals... Especially since my tank is still SO immature... I am contemplating ridding both anemones...

I want to keep the clowns, and hope they will host something different... Even if it's some GSP or a Hammer... I just don't like the risk of having these nem's....

I have a buddy stopping over tonight to help me move the top rock in the tank that they are both lodged beneath... I may try to bag them up and have a LFS hold them for me until I can figure out what I can do...

Does anyone have this concern like me? Or once they are put for a few weeks, thats where they are to stay? I know they can move quite fast and far when they want. It scares me.

Thanks!

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii621/lukestrothman/4N0A6717_zpsb2d55deb.jpg (http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/lukestrothman/media/4N0A6717_zpsb2d55deb.jpg.html)

Fade2White12
11/20/2014, 11:03 AM
Everyone is going to give you different answers re: the experiences they've had with BTAs. For some people, they never move and rarely multiply, and for others, the exact opposite. It's one of those tradeoffs we have to make when we decide what to stock our tanks with.

Me? I love nems, and would rather have several than a glass box of colored sticks any day. I just try and take some precautions when possible - placing them in an initial location most likely to be happy (lots of light, a strong place to bury their foot, etc.) and isolating them (depending on aquascape) the best that I can to limit their travel and potential damage. I also like to use more common "burner" corals as barriers that I won't mind if the nem decides to duke it out with them.

So for you, it's all about risk vs. reward and the value that you place on different inhabitants of your tank.

Vapour1ze
11/20/2014, 11:11 AM
Everyone is going to give you different answers re: the experiences they've had with BTAs. For some people, they never move and rarely multiply, and for others, the exact opposite. It's one of those tradeoffs we have to make when we decide what to stock our tanks with.

Me? I love nems, and would rather have several than a glass box of colored sticks any day. I just try and take some precautions when possible - placing them in an initial location most likely to be happy (lots of light, a strong place to bury their foot, etc.) and isolating them (depending on aquascape) the best that I can to limit their travel and potential damage. I also like to use more common "burner" corals as barriers that I won't mind if the nem decides to duke it out with them.

So for you, it's all about risk vs. reward and the value that you place on different inhabitants of your tank.

Well said, I think at this time. Since the nem is under the top rock I want to move. I am going to try to move the rock. Like I want. (Kind of a need) And if I can, take one of the two to a LFS or sell online to someone local.

Think that's my best bet.

I will leave the other nem in there, as I do agree with you. It is very awesome. And I love nems!

Kaman8
11/20/2014, 01:38 PM
They need time to settle in. It will stop moving when it found a spot that it like. Sometimes it will take a month or 2. What you can do is moving the corals to other spots. The split is probably from stress, because you just introduce it to your tank.

Ratpack
11/20/2014, 01:48 PM
I understand your concern and had the same concern when my nem split into 3 separate nems. Ironically they all three stayed in the same spot as the original. The original nem has been in the same spot for a couple years and never moved so I wasn't wanting to tempt fate and have the other two irritate each other and then all three move. So I removed the smaller two and traded them in to the LFS for credit and kept the original. It is still in the same spot.

Mark9
11/20/2014, 02:12 PM
I think you should not keep it, too dangerous.
I'll PM you my address where you can send them.

Vapour1ze
11/20/2014, 02:21 PM
i think you should not keep it, too dangerous.
I'll pm you my address where you can send them.

lol!