PDA

View Full Version : night owl... help, please!

kelp47
11/21/2014, 12:50 AM
I just discovered that the smoldering smell in my house is my cobalt heater. I found it before the heater released any matter into the tank. But now I have a heating dillema. Here are my options. Please tell me if you have any experience or thoughts on this.
1) Replace the the broken heater with my backup, which is the same kind, but releases stray voltage. (I don'tlike this idea)
2) Quickly acclimate my two fish in quarantine (only two days in) and move that heater to the tank. It's really too small, but may be better than nothing.
3) Cover the aquarium intowels and keep the sump light on to conserve existing heat through the night. Go to pet store in the morning for a new heater.

It's a 75 gallon tank with a sump under the stand (about 20-25 gallons of water). Room temp is approx 67 degrees F.
Only one fish at the moment, but he's important to me. A few piecesof soft coral andsome inverts.

Crooked Reef
11/21/2014, 01:20 AM
What is the current water temp in the tank?

Raul-7
11/21/2014, 04:53 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376715

Get those heaters away from your aquarium, buy a new one like Eheim Ebo Jager and ask for a warranty replacement or refund.

kelp47
11/21/2014, 08:06 AM
I ended up going with option 3. I also retimed the main lights to come on earlier for a little added heat. My temp only dropped to about 76, so I'm relieved. I'm about to go get a new heater to hold me over until I can research a new one. I'll check out he Eheim. Thanks!

fishgate
11/21/2014, 08:54 AM
This is odd. I just lost a Cobalt heater this week as well. 300 watt. It looks like the seal broke. I got another Cobalt and it is in the tank now. I also have an eheim yager but it can't keep up with the tank. I'll not buy Cobalt again!