PDA

View Full Version : Water siphoning tool recommendation?

Mikesville510
11/22/2014, 09:17 AM
Anyone out there who can recommend a semi-rigid siphoning tool that can keep an L shape?

I've been using vinyl tubing siphon water out for my water changes and it's annoying when the siphoning end stays curled up when trying to reach hard to reach places.

billdogg
11/24/2014, 03:02 PM
python siphon. can't beat it IMO

Mikesville510
11/24/2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking a tool that gives you more flexibility that can also hold its shape for hard to reach areas, something like a giant bendable straw.

asudavew
11/24/2014, 10:43 PM
Add a length of pvc to the end of your vinyl hose.

Fredfish
11/24/2014, 11:00 PM
Maybe some loc line?

Timfish
11/25/2014, 08:36 AM
Home improvement stores will usually have 4' or 5' lengths of PEX of varying diameters in the plumbing section. It's pretty flexable and if bent will retain it's shape for a period of time. It can also be heated up with a lighter or other source of heat and be bent into a permanent shape so you could have several custom "nozzles" you could stick on the end of a syphon hose to get to those hard to reach places.

Mikesville510
11/25/2014, 06:22 PM
Home improvement stores will usually have 4' or 5' lengths of PEX of varying diameters in the plumbing section. It's pretty flexable and if bent will retain it's shape for a period of time. It can also be heated up with a lighter or other source of heat and be bent into a permanent shape so you could have several custom "nozzles" you could stick on the end of a syphon hose to get to those hard to reach places.

awesome! i'll give this a try

firemountain
11/27/2014, 02:51 PM
I built my own that works off the same principle as the Python.

Go to a marine store and buy a primer bulb valve that allows you to start the siphon. Then you can customize the hose length and type to fit your application.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--epa-approved-primer-bulb--P013854278

It cost me 1/2 the price of the Python, and it's way better.