PDA

View Full Version : best zoas for 7 month tank

hampsterblade
11/22/2014, 07:11 PM
My tank has been going for 7 months and it looks like I'm just about through the nuisance algae stage. I currently have a few kenya trees and am thinking about some zoas. I absolutely love how they look. But I have read they can easily overtake everything and some produce deadly neurotoxins. Would I be better to go with something else, or are they okay. And if so what are some good types for a recently established tank?

Clownfish Chris
11/22/2014, 07:32 PM
I have not herd that Zoas can take over a tank. I would highly recommend them and have several frags myself. I dont believe that there is much difference from one to the next.

shesacharmer
11/22/2014, 07:35 PM
My tank is six months old and I have several varieties of zoas. They all enjoy similar conditions and are thriving at the bottom and midway up my tank under LED/T5 lights. If you have a concern about Paly Toxin you should wear gloves and eye protection when you handle them.

whosurcaddie
11/22/2014, 09:10 PM
The growth rate of zoas depend on the size of the colony you start with (larger=faster) and the type that you get. Some grow slow some grow exponentially fast. Usually its the ugly ones that are fast growers.

Be sure to wear gloves when handling them.

m0nkie
11/22/2014, 09:11 PM
My tank is about a year.. I have 30+ kinds of zoas.. they are far from taking over, but they multiply every month. beautiful garden if you set them up right.

as for the toxin, play it safe and wear protective gears. Youtube has plenty of safety videos

hampsterblade
11/22/2014, 11:37 PM
Good to know. I was kind of worried once I put them in they would be everywhere, like I know the Kenya trees will be in a few months :headwally: . Deciding on the right corals is a fun challenge and trying to picture how they will go together in my tank. Then comes the fun of deciding whether I know enough for stonies or if I should stick to softies and maybe a few leathers. I don't think I'll really mess with mushrooms.

Wryknow
11/23/2014, 02:27 AM
Any zoas that are brown or dull green seem to grow faster IMPE. They can grow very quickly in the right conditions but some folks have trouble getting them to spread at all. They do contain toxins and you should always wear eye and hand protection when handling them but they really only cause problems if they get cut or torn. Running carbon in any softie system is a good idea IMPE. I think that they all use chemical warfare on their tank mates to some degree.