PDA

View Full Version : Re Aquascaping + Reducing the amount of live rock. Reduce by 15%-20% is okay?

SonRK
11/23/2014, 01:46 PM
Hey guys

I am dissatisfied with my aquascape.

I have 20 lbs of BRS Reef Saver Rock and 8 lbs of live rock from LFS. Looks like Pukani that BRS sells dry as well. So a total of 28 pounds of rock on a Nuvo Fusion 30L

The display portion only shows about 22 gallons of water, so while the volume is supposedly 30, the weight of the rocks/equipment probably puts it closer to like...25? That's just a wild guess, but the tank overall holds less than 30 gallons.

http://i.imgur.com/8BUhlVwl.jpg

I want to break up the middle tall rock, and remove some portions of the 2 rocks on the right side. Maybe saw the far right piece, and have it standing up right.

Basically, I want to add more depth to the tank as all the rocks are lined up in the same line, and doesn't give a good sense of 3Dness to it. No corals are glued on yet, so I figured this is the perfect time to change it if I want to.

So: Take out rock, keep them wet in (saltwater + temp) bucket, chop em up, re-design , and re-add. I would do this for the 3 major portions of my tank ( left, middle , right).

Bringing this all back to my first point. I feel like 28lbs on a 22 gallon display area makes it feel too cluttered too. I went through the Minimalist Aquascape thread and love what I saw.

I want to remove about 5 lbs while I'm redoing the aquscape. I assume this wouldn't be a huge deal to the bioload of the tank? 2 Ocellaris clownfish, and 20 frags of assorted zoas, palys, mushrooms, 1 torch, 1 duncan.

-edit- Maybe I should have posted this in Beginners? Sorry if it's better suited there

Daniel62
11/23/2014, 05:51 PM
yes, you'll be fine

Coralfreak09
01/15/2015, 07:49 AM
See below

Coralfreak09
01/15/2015, 07:51 AM
I am facing the same issue in my Nuvo 20 gallon, definitely not 20 gallons in display but I think its pretty close if you were to fill up the entire tank including the baffles in back. With a nano tank in general its hard to add depth and have enough rock to be beneficial for biological filtration. Id go with a semi circle style, like if you were to look at it from the top it be like an upside down U. That's the best way to keep your rock and have the depth your looking for. If you want a "nicer" aquascape, be prepared to give up some rock, and use pillars, I find that is more pleasing to the eye.

Also as an advanced reefer, I have come to realize I am NEVER 100% happy with any aquascape in my own tank, I see others and am like oh wow, and I see my own, which others are amazed by, and I think what a piece of S*** my aquascape it. So be happy with it, if you leave it to grow with the minimalistic style your corals will take the empty space in the tank. (which is a good thing) just takes time and patience my friend.