PDA

View Full Version : How long to fatten up a fish?

spoonman1979
11/24/2014, 07:30 AM
I received a pink tail trigger about a month ago. He was is terrible shape when I received him, floating in the bag, floating on the surface of the water during acclimation, and even had to move him off of the filter in the quarantine tank. The next day he acted vibrant and hungry. He has been eating piggishly since. Completed TT and Prazipro, now just in the observation period. He was very emaciated, sunken cheeks and all, now he is just a bit thick around his stomach but still bony and sunken cheeks. I have been feeding him at least 2 cubes frozen food daily. At what point should I be concerned about other health issues?

Nina51
11/24/2014, 07:40 AM
i would think, with all you have done already, he should be in good shape as far as being disease-free. if it's just a matter of him still being a little thin, i'd keep him in qt longer than usual at least until you see some definite "filling out". this way, he won't have to compete with other fish in your dt.

good luck with him!

SDguy
11/24/2014, 08:10 AM
If he's eating well, then he should fatten up pretty quickly. How often are you feeding? Just the two cubes once a day? Cubes of what? Look into getting some clams from the grocery store. Crack one open and give it to him. Some Larry's fish frenzy will also do the trick in short order!

spoonman1979
11/24/2014, 10:53 AM
He get a cube two or three times a day with gusto. He eats everything, except hikari krill, plankton, mysis, enriched brine, and full size krill. I try to avoid feeding my triggers clams because he will be going into a DT with clams...

Dmorty217
11/24/2014, 01:42 PM
Try enriching the food with selcon and vitachem