PDA

View Full Version : New tank, is no cycle possible?

jason78
11/24/2014, 07:33 AM
I have read from every post and I have been doing reefs doe about 10 years. I recently moved to within 500 yards of one of the top three reef spots in the world. My access to fish, rock and live stock is 100% free.

So here is my question. If I start a new tank and do 100% water change every day. With live rock from the ocean never out of water but for 2 seconds to put in a bucket full. Of water then back into a tank. Can I get the tank running with no cycle? Equipment would be 75 gallon display, sump with skimmer and a refugium with macro.

What are your thoughts?

Triggercdog
11/24/2014, 07:53 AM
IMHO....I would think you will still go thru a cycle....a new tank will have diatom blooms no matter what rock you use....and there has to be some kind of die off from the rock even if it stays in the water at all times...I would just test for the first month....I don't think I would put livestock in until I know for sure the system could handle the bio load...remember this hobby is all about patience....no need to rush!!

Triggercdog
11/24/2014, 07:55 AM
Also, I don't know where u live so be careful with pollutants and bacterias that you could get from natural ocean water....just my two cents!! Good luck and remember to post pics of the build!

formsix
11/24/2014, 07:58 AM
I have read from every post and I have been doing reefs doe about 10 years. I recently moved to within 500 yards of one of the top three reef spots in the world. My access to fish, rock and live stock is 100% free.

So here is my question. If I start a new tank and do 100% water change every day. With live rock from the ocean never out of water but for 2 seconds to put in a bucket full. Of water then back into a tank. Can I get the tank running with no cycle? Equipment would be 75 gallon display, sump with skimmer and a refugium with macro.

What are your thoughts?

Provided your access is also completely legal... Yes and no. This is actually what many of us have done when we've ordered live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater or other gulf-coast distributers. What we do is put the rock into our tanks (rock that almost never been out of water), and check ammonia daily. If it creeps up, do a large water change.

You'll still have some die-off -- just from moving the rock, things not adjusting to your tank water, etc. But it should be minimal. I would suggest doing it in three steps. First step is to get some base rock -- large pieces that are not necessarily the most colorful or full of life. Put these in your tank, and check ammonia daily. Water change if/when necessary. Once you've established that there is no ammonia in your tank (if you can't detect it after 4-5 days you should be fine), then go and get more "lively" live rock and some snails, crabs, etc. Then once that stabilizes -- and it might be fine from day 1 because of that initial base rock -- then slowly start to add fish and other critters.

Keep us posted!

Waters40
11/24/2014, 10:04 AM
Yes, it is totally possible.....as long as you have the bacteria growing on the rock, you will never see the cycle. I purchased my live rock online, had it shipped, put it in the tank, and never recorded any measurable ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Now obviously, as others stated, if you have a lot of die off (don't know why you would?) and that overpowers the number of bacteria....you would see a mini-cycle.

inetmug
11/24/2014, 10:07 AM
Watch the local laws, especially on rock and coral...

jason78
11/24/2014, 08:01 PM
Local law States not taking of livestock when scuba diving. But you can take what ever you want when snorkeling or free diving.