PDA

View Full Version : All-In-One tank with Live Rock in Rear Filtration caused NITRATES!

Coralful
11/24/2014, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,

I got this 55gal All in one tank that had some bio balls in the rear filtration which I have replaced with Live Rock. Recently I installed a Bio Pellet reactor and when I opened up the Wet/Dry trickle system where my live rock was placed, I saw massive amounts of detritus build up. My mistake was I have never looked back there just this time when I installed a reactor. Im pretty sure there was not much water flow behind that all the waste have built up in the back.

I immediately removed all live rock that was placed in there but the detritus clouded all over the tank and detritus everywhere in the display tank covering live rock and my corals.

My nitrates have spiked up to about 50 to 60ppm and I am planning to do a 50% water change today. Any other suggestions? Would it hurt my tank to do a huge 50% water change?

Djturna4thakidz
11/24/2014, 12:17 PM
I would not put any live rock rubble back there. I keep mine clear of all debris other than equipment to eliminate detritus building up. I usually clean the back chambers every 2-3 water changes too.

Sk8r
11/24/2014, 12:24 PM
The live rock basically goes on your sand in the tank. Bioballs are not your friend, but at some point in the cycle the water needs to froth and bubble; a place in the water-stream where detritus is piling up thickly and unprocessed is not a good thing.

cloak
11/24/2014, 12:25 PM
As long as all your parameters match up, I don't think a 50% water change would hurt, just make sure to remove as much of that detritus as you can. You might have to vacuum the sand bed, blow the detritus off the rocks with a power head, incorporate a HOB filter or sock, whatever... Get that muck out! GL.

Coralful
11/24/2014, 02:37 PM
Ive blown off many detritus and also filtered with a filter sock. All the rubble have been removed from thr back and is now empty. The only problem i have left are high nitrates. I will be doing a 50% water change this afternoon. If i still see nitrates should i do another 10 or 20% on tuesday?