PDA

View Full Version : Dosing iron

kinerson
11/24/2014, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

1) What's the basics to dosing iron? Is it cheaper/better to diy your own iron dosing source or better to buy something commercially made?

2) I have heard it can help improve growth on macro which in turn can help outcompete micro. Is this true? I would think it could/would help both macro and micro algae.

Thanks!

3eight33
12/11/2014, 12:00 AM
bump

Subsea
12/11/2014, 07:27 AM
Hey guys,

1) What's the basics to dosing iron? Is it cheaper/better to diy your own iron dosing source or better to buy something commercially made?

2) I have heard it can help improve growth on macro which in turn can help outcompete micro. Is this true? I would think it could/would help both macro and micro algae.

Thanks!

Everything will benefit from the iron, including bacteria. As far as good macro algae out competing bad micro algae, it will not necessarily happen that way on its on. Sometimes, it is necessary to physically harvest the offending algae to tip the balance in favor of the desired species. This is also accomplished with a proper clean up crew. I choose janitors that reproduce in our closed ecosystems.
Of course it is cheaper to make your own iron dosing solution. I have a 10K gallon outside growout system. I choose to buy a commercial mix. Randy Homes Farley has several articles on iron dosing with a recipe for iron dosing.
Patrick

kinerson
12/11/2014, 05:43 PM
Everything will benefit from the iron, including bacteria. As far as good macro algae out competing bad micro algae, it will not necessarily happen that way on its on. Sometimes, it is necessary to physically harvest the offending algae to tip the balance in favor of the desired species. This is also accomplished with a proper clean up crew. I choose janitors that reproduce in our closed ecosystems.
Of course it is cheaper to make your own iron dosing solution. I have a 10K gallon outside growout system. I choose to buy a commercial mix. Randy Homes Farley has several articles on iron dosing with a recipe for iron dosing.
Patrick

Thanks for the comments. What are the janitors that you use?

Subsea
12/12/2014, 12:40 AM
Florida Drawf Cerith Snails, amphipods, micro stars, bristle worms and serpent starfish.