PDA

View Full Version : QTing a new Frogspawn frag and Tailspot Blenny - any potential issues ?

SonRK
11/24/2014, 06:06 PM
Hey guys

First time I'm gonna QT a frag plug here. Mostly because I didn't have any sufficient lighting for my QT Tank, until I decided to upgrade my Reef Radiance to a Maxspect. Also because it seems that several of the stores display tanks have Aiptasia. Sucks, but I definitely don't wanna add those to my tank unnecessarily.

Gonna pick up a Tailspot Blenny as well, figured it's time to add a new fish to give my 30 gallon some additional fish life

I know corals aren't significant bio loads, I'll be checking ammonia daily with frequent water changes for the 4-6 week period.

Filtration will actually be decent ! Because I'm gonna be re aquascaping my display and removing some lbs, I can toss those in the QT for this session. I hope that these two items come healthy...

So yea basically, anything that must be done when QTimg both a fish and coral at the same time ? I know if the fish succumbs to an illness then I won't add the coral to the display.

JoelA7
11/24/2014, 10:59 PM
Potential issue is crypto. If the blenny has it and a cyst forms on the coral plug or rock base etc you could transfer it to your tank.

RA
11/25/2014, 06:18 AM
I don't quarantine my new corals. You should just use a coral dip to remove any unwanted pests before placing in your display tank.

Newsmyrna80
11/25/2014, 06:39 AM
Hey guys

First time I'm gonna QT a frag plug here. Mostly because I didn't have any sufficient lighting for my QT Tank, until I decided to upgrade my Reef Radiance to a Maxspect. Also because it seems that several of the stores display tanks have Aiptasia. Sucks, but I definitely don't wanna add those to my tank unnecessarily.

Gonna pick up a Tailspot Blenny as well, figured it's time to add a new fish to give my 30 gallon some additional fish life

I know corals aren't significant bio loads, I'll be checking ammonia daily with frequent water changes for the 4-6 week period.

Filtration will actually be decent ! Because I'm gonna be re aquascaping my display and removing some lbs, I can toss those in the QT for this session. I hope that these two items come healthy...

So yea basically, anything that must be done when QTimg both a fish and coral at the same time ? I know if the fish succumbs to an illness then I won't add the coral to the display.

I applaud your quarantine efforts. 72 days in a QT is recommended (dipping will not eradicate fish parasites). The problem you run into combining fish and corals is cryptocaryon. If there is a tomont on the plug or base of the coral it can take up to 72 days to "hatch" and of course infect the fish. Therefore you would need to leave the fish in the QT for longer to be sure it is clear.
In case you are wondering what is the likelihood of that happening...I had a crab introduce ich and a sea urchin introduce brook. It does happen:(