PDA

View Full Version : What controller and components do I need?

njones
11/25/2014, 08:58 AM
am considering purchasing a controller, from what I've read ?ink it's best to go with either an Apex or Reefangel. My current set up is a 29 biocube but eventually I would like to upgrade back to a 90 or a 125. I want a consistant accurate measurement of pH, salinity,alk/calcium and also dimming my LEDs would be nice. After the tank grows I'd like to be able to start dosing if necessary. My other question is what do I need to have a sunrise/sunset with my LEDs? I bought a used setup and the driver is a Model S 200 24.. The back has 2 ports for +v and 2 for -v. There is also a +v adj space but no termial is there just a jumper I believe.*

I have never done any C coding but I can copy and paste good. Also I am trying to keep costs as low as possible. What controller would be better and what components would I need?

mcgyvr
11/25/2014, 11:18 AM
controllers are for more than just measurements..

Personally the cost for all the salinity/ph/alk/cal probes is NOT worth it for a 29G tank or a 125G tank..

and the S20024 is NOT an LED driver.. Its a constant voltage power supply. An LED "driver" is constant current. So we don't know what dimming signal your "used setup" requires.

njones
11/25/2014, 01:19 PM
http://www.kutop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/e/nes_200_24v_power_supply_driver.jpg

Thats the back of the powersupply. I also would like to be able to monitor the system while I am not home, I had an instance of the return starting to run dry,luckily I was in the room though, so peace of mind while I am not around would be a big thing.

njones
11/26/2014, 01:33 PM
Any for sale on black friday?

DaveMorris
11/29/2014, 08:43 PM
Personally the cost for all the salinity/ph/alk/cal probes is NOT worth it for a 29G tank or a 125G tank..

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. As an example, I travel extensively for work and whether I had a 29g tank or a 2900g tank, I would have a controller to monitor all of the parameters that can become a problem, i.e. ph, Temp, salinity, ORP, etc. It is still a life support system for animals and just because the tank is smaller doesn't make it any less important to monitor.

Coelli
11/29/2014, 08:52 PM
Agreed with the above, I have an Apex on my 29g Biocube and while I'm upgrading to a 65 and moving the Apex to it, I never regretted buying it for the Biocube. Just because it's a smaller tank didn't make it any less useful (or awesome).

As for modules, I bought the full Apex and lab grade PH probe. I had heard mixed things about the salinity and ORP modules so I skipped them. I added a VDM for my pumps (ports on the base unit were already taken by lights). Yesterday in anticipation of the new tank and sump I bought another temp probe, the leak detection module and two sensors, and a Breakout box.

reeferaddict
11/29/2014, 09:40 PM
Coelli
that sounds alot like the setup I'm working to build w the Apex jr that came w my nuvo 38
I have the temp prob, and VDM module on a Kessil-- what pumps are you using?
I planned to get a salinity and Ph probe- haven't heard anything bad about it
I also like the idea of a leak detector as I'm mainly using the Apex for travel as well

nice thread

Coelli
11/29/2014, 11:36 PM
Coelli
that sounds alot like the setup I'm working to build w the Apex jr that came w my nuvo 38
I have the temp prob, and VDM module on a Kessil-- what pumps are you using?
I planned to get a salinity and Ph probe- haven't heard anything bad about it
I also like the idea of a leak detector as I'm mainly using the Apex for travel as well

nice thread

Yeah, my new setup will have 2 Kessil A360NEs. :) The Biocube has an older Nanotuners LED 3-channel retro with 0-10v ports, so the Apex is controlling them via VDM on the base unit. The pumps are Jebao WP-10s; you can DIY a cable, or pick one up through hobbyists here or the Neptune forums.

The PH probe is useful for sure; I've just heard mixed things about the salinity module and I think the ORP is more advanced than I need to get right now with my mostly softy and LPS livestock.

njones
12/02/2014, 09:08 PM
Any idea how to dim the LEDs?

mcgyvr
12/03/2014, 06:39 AM
Any idea how to dim the LEDs?

No because you have not given us any details on the LED driver.
The power supply you posted is NOT the LED driver. Its only 1 portion of the schematic. That power supply is attached to "X".. we need specs on "X"

mcgyvr
12/03/2014, 06:46 AM
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. As an example, I travel extensively for work and whether I had a 29g tank or a 2900g tank, I would have a controller to monitor all of the parameters that can become a problem, i.e. ph, Temp, salinity, ORP, etc. It is still a life support system for animals and just because the tank is smaller doesn't make it any less important to monitor.

Didn't say it was less important to monitor... :)
Just said that IMO it isn't worth buying expensive test probes when typical test kits costing far less could suffice.
Hard to justify spending $400-500 every 2 years or less for a system that small.

Now sure there are some situations that one could justify that.. But most simply will not.

d2mini
12/03/2014, 09:27 AM
Didn't say it was less important to monitor... :)
Just said that IMO it isn't worth buying expensive test probes when typical test kits costing far less could suffice.
Hard to justify spending $400-500 every 2 years or less for a system that small.

Now sure there are some situations that one could justify that.. But most simply will not.

If using good probes, the only thing I would replace is the ph probe.
Salinity, ORP and Temp probes should last a long time with regular maintenance, IME. And ORP isn't really needed unless you run ozone. Not that it can't be beneficial but I'd worry about getting the others first.

njones
12/03/2014, 11:22 AM
http://shop.stevesleds.com/The-Double-Dimming-LED-Driver-Double-Driver.htm I figured out last night this is the driver I have but I think this biocube has 2 installed because there are 2 dimmer knobs. If there is 2 how would I dim them with PWM on a reefangel or apex?

mcgyvr
12/03/2014, 12:37 PM
http://shop.stevesleds.com/The-Double-Dimming-LED-Driver-Double-Driver.htm I figured out last night this is the driver I have but I think this biocube has 2 installed because there are 2 dimmer knobs. If there is 2 how would I dim them with PWM on a reefangel or apex?

per Steves page for those drivers

-PWM Input - YES. This accepts standard PWM for dimming and automation. Accurate linear dimming is compatible with PWM frequencies from 100 Hz to 5 kHz for PWM duty cycle down to 1%. PWM frequencies up to 50 kHz can be supported for duty cycles greater than 10%.

-Aquarium controller compatibility - YES! Any aquarium controller with 0-10V dimming can control this driver using Steve's Aquarium Controller Harness. For this driver to accept a 0-10V input, Steve's Aquarium Controller Harness is required.

DaveMorris
12/08/2014, 12:50 AM
The Aquarium Controller Harness is only necessary if your controller uses 0v-10v DC. If it outputs PWM, then you can connect those outputs directly to the drivers.

njones
12/21/2014, 03:29 PM
It says it does accept PWM dimming though, but how?