PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of switching out lights.

Zacktosterone
11/25/2014, 09:59 AM
My tank is a 66"lx30"wx24"h rimless tank with a plan to have a heavy stocked SPS system.

I'm running a 4x80watt t5 with 4x75watt led ATI LED power module.

Some people say that this is enough light but I'm jot sure. I'm thinking of running a 8x80watt sunpower with 2 reefbright tech blue strips.

Do I have enough light? My rock structure is directly under this light and spread is fine. No shadowing really. Wattage wise I'm at 3.6 watts per gallon.

I've got some LPs on the sand bed close to the front of the glass, like my open brain and its thriving .

mcgyvr
11/25/2014, 11:11 AM
I've got some LPs on the sand bed close to the front of the glass, like my open brain and its thriving .

You just answered your own question IMO..
not to mention others have already told you your lighting is fine

But clearly you just want to get a new light..

So I'll make you happy..
No you don't have enough light.. :confused:

Zacktosterone
11/25/2014, 11:22 AM
You just answered your own question IMO..
not to mention others have already told you your lighting is fine

But clearly you just want to get a new light..

So I'll make you happy..
No you don't have enough light.. :confused:

Don't be so aggressive. A part of making a decision is data accumulation and analysis. Having one string of t5 guys answering me isn't going to be a complete and wise amount of info to make a decission. I want opinions from multiple people, with varried purchase experience with different failures and successes. And actually no I don't want to change my light. I want my struggling sps that are showing symptoms that they arnt getting enough light to thrive. My nutrients are under control but my pinks are still brown and my greens are browning

alton
11/25/2014, 01:00 PM
Buy or borrow a PAR meter to see if you have enough light. For the cost of replacing your lamps twice you can have one and stop wondering do you have enough light?

Zacktosterone
11/25/2014, 01:07 PM
Buy or borrow a PAR meter to see if you have enough light. For the cost of replacing your lamps twice you can have one and stop wondering do you have enough light?

This Is a good point lol

GSMclowns
11/25/2014, 01:44 PM
While the ATI LED power module is a very powerful light, I don't think it is wide enough to cover the width of your tank. For your tank, I would go with a 8x80watt t5 with 4x75watt led ATI LED power module. Years ago, I bought a 6 bulbs ATI sunpower and now it isn't enough to cover a 120 gallons thank that I have. Always regret it. Learn my lesson, when shopping for light or any tank equipments. Buy one that is a little bigger than you think you need.

Zacktosterone
11/25/2014, 01:49 PM
I can always sell it. I would make enough to get the light I want for sure