PDA

View Full Version : Got some food safe barrels from Wallmart - has fruit smell in it...

inetmug
11/25/2014, 01:39 PM
It was a decent deal at $80 each with free shipping and the welded ports for plumbing..... what they did not say these were used apparently.... to ship something like a fruit concentrate. This seems common, I see them advertised all the time like that.

I have washed this thing, filled it with vinegar/water, but I still have a lingering smell of fruit punch. The white lined one is worse than just the blue. Any ideas on how to get the smell out, and or does it even matter?

I probably screwed up. I can get dozens of these from a local place, that ships them with light chemicals. But I did not trust it.

myram
11/25/2014, 01:44 PM
A guy local to me gets barrels from Pepsi that were used to transport soda syrup. He sells them for like $12 each. He get's olive barrels as well as some bigger ones. Prices range from $8 to $25 depending on size.

Raul-7
11/25/2014, 04:32 PM
It's probably ethylene.

inetmug
11/25/2014, 10:10 PM
yeAH found many olive, but none near me.

Just want to know if it matters. The barrels are solid, and the fused in ports for plumbing are cool. They are the "Big Blue" rain barrels, touted potable safe with proper sanitation.