PDA

View Full Version : Kessel H series for macro?

mntnbighker
11/25/2014, 04:49 PM
I asked the Kessel folks what the best growth rate light would be for a refugium. I realize that the general opinion round these parts is to go cheap with a full spectrum CFL from Depot, but indulge my fantasy for a second. I have had terrible luck growing macro with my CFL. I can't grow chaeto in my 2 year old mixed system for beans. I have some luck with caulerpa but very limited. I have run GFO on and off but I don't anymore because it grows dino's like mad and messes up my PH. My skimmer is producing so in theory I have stuff to feed the plants, and I run the skimmer 16 hours a day. I am growing hair algae in the display in small amounts, and that was way worse when I ran GFO too. So getting to the point, Kessel suggested that the H series deep purple would grow the most macro. That's the hydroponic series, not the aquarium series. This makes me question the logic behind the CFL bright white. So is anyone using a purple LED or purple spectrum of any kind to great affect in their fuge? It seems to me the entire point of the fuge is to make that SO effective at growing plants that algae doesn't grow much in the display. Also, I want to grow macro to feed my Tomini. If I can get really successful growing macro I may set up another sump or tank just for macro and a couple of Tangs alone. I saw a vid (http://youtu.be/MTwwivnoFNE?list=UU4NMyPk6s0Hdz9dlqRySURQ) of a huge 10 year old Naso living in a big sump who was fat and happy in all that lush plant life.

Subsea
11/26/2014, 03:15 PM
With respect to LED, it is mono specific in spectrum. I believe the purple LED is comprised of red and blue. Some macro like some coral take time to adjust to led lightig. Cost is a big reason for using CFL.
Patrick

mntnbighker
11/26/2014, 06:37 PM
With respect to LED, it is mono specific in spectrum. I believe the purple LED is comprised of red and blue. Some macro like some coral take time to adjust to led lightig. Cost is a big reason for using CFL.
Patrick

I have had the same type CFL on the sump for 2 years+

I see that there are a LOT of low cost LED grow lights on Amazon, but all are mostly red as opposed to mostly blue (i.e. magenta) because that is the bloom phase color. Also, the low cost ones appear to be over driven and short lived compared to something like Kessil. Many are wired in series so when one LED dies of being over driven it takes out half of the rest (or possibly all).

MidwesternTexan
11/26/2014, 06:55 PM
I had posted a research paper on chaeto, it's growth, etc. I think it was out of Denmark.

I grow chaeto at a fast rate- as nauseum with 2 x 100W CFL (house bulbs- like from Home Depot/Menards/Walmart), one is a 5000K, the other a 6500K, and now difference in the growth- I mean MEGA growth, MEGA chaeto mass in my large sump.

IMHO- most people can't grow chaeto with CF bulbs simply because-
They don't put enough light on it!
Each reflector puts out 400 PAR 6 inches under it.
It is a Plant. People that say they don't have the nutrients that it eats, well, I beg to differ. It mainly needs light- that's it.

I run mine opposite my DT LED's mainly- with some overlap.
I run mine 14 on, 10 off on my chaeto.

While I know an exspensive light will also grow it. $25 bucks will get you all that I have on mine, and it will grow, and grow well.

This is my 125g sump, and that green ball/mass center right is my chaeto.
It's ~ 18" x 18" x 16", without spreading it out.
I do turn it over every few days, etc.
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/TexasTodd_photo/Mobile%20Uploads/F8F13C1B-608D-4C17-ADED-E5F3FD14DD93_zpskius4l7s.jpg (http://s658.photobucket.com/user/TexasTodd_photo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/F8F13C1B-608D-4C17-ADED-E5F3FD14DD93_zpskius4l7s.jpg.html)

Subsea
11/27/2014, 05:24 AM
+10 to Tex. I have used CFL on DT when paired with actinic bulbs.

I have always felt the green house nursary business performed the most in depth research information on growing under differrent lighting conditions. I always told myself when greenhouse operators switch to LED than I will be convinced. While some greenhouse operators are using LED, it is still an economic choice for each situation. I am not convinced that we humans know enough detail about which phase of plant growth requires which spectrum of light energy. For my money, T5, MH and CFL all have an application. Because of the full spectrum emitted from these artificial light sources, I choose to use them in my production tanks. Both of my personnel tanks have LED fixtures.
Patrick

mntnbighker
11/27/2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks, I'm going to take steps to add PAR without going to narrow spectrum grow lights, and see what happens. I have bigger problems lately though. I went on a tear to get the garbage piling up in my substrate out, and really p!ssed off the coral in the process. It's probably the nitrate spike? I stopped growing coraline and that is always a bad thing. Anyway I'm biting my lip and letting things settle down. Yesterday the phosphates were 0.04 and the nitrate was between 2.5 and 5. My other parameters are finally really stable since I went to a calcium reactor. It's funny that the coral was growing best when I had the worst problems with dino's and hair algae. Now I have much less hair algae, very little dino growth and almost no polyp extension.

Helfish
12/07/2014, 07:20 AM
I have been using Kessil H150 Purple over my fuge few months now, with mixed results so far. I have MH over my DT and the macro algae (Dictyota sp.) is growing like weeds and looking really healthy. In the fuge I have the same macro algae, from the same mother plant, and the growth has been much slower.

I have been wondering, what might be the cause for this. Either the light in the fuge is too weak (36w) or the light just isn't good enough? From what I have read about the spectrum requirements of macro algae, in theory, the Kessil Purple light should be provide good results.

I have also noticed some weird growth patters between the two: The one in the fuge is growing narrower leafs, than the one in the md. You can see them in the picture. The DT algae is on the left and fuge algae on the right. (sorry about the bad quality of the pictures)

fredro
04/19/2015, 06:41 PM
I know this is an old thread but ha have a H150 over my fuge growing chaeto. I had poor growth with a cheap clip on LED full spectrum, took a chance on the Kessil H150 and I'm now growing chaeto like mad. ZERO PO4 and NO3 readings. Best purchase lately, at $68 shipped off eBay. Highly Recommend!!

oseymour
05/12/2015, 04:57 PM
I know this is an old thread but ha have a H150 over my fuge growing chaeto. I had poor growth with a cheap clip on LED full spectrum, took a chance on the Kessil H150 and I'm now growing chaeto like mad. ZERO PO4 and NO3 readings. Best purchase lately, at $68 shipped off eBay. Highly Recommend!!

Which H150 model did you purchase? Deep Purple?

mntnbighker
05/12/2015, 06:11 PM
I was having terrible growth with Lowes 5k LED. My solution was to get two 120W (equiv) Lowes 5k LED floods. I think possibly the problem most of the time is one of power not spectrum. You simply need to dump a lot of photons IN if you expect to get a lot of green OUT. The advantage to narrow spectrum is mostly one of efficiency. I guess I grow a fistful of chaeto a week now. But my fugue is too small so I still grow too much hair algae and dino in my display.

RobTheReefer
12/07/2015, 01:11 PM

Are you still running the H150? If so, do you have the purple or magenta version. Also, what size area are you lighting, and are you happy with Chaeto growth?

Sorry for all the questions. I am waiting on the delivery of a H150 Purple for a 12"x12" Chaeto fuge. I'm thinking that even though it's only 36 watts, I should get great growth with it focused on a 1 square foot area.

fredro
12/07/2015, 05:43 PM
Are you still running the H150? If so, do you have the purple or magenta version. Also, what size area are you lighting, and are you happy with Chaeto growth?

Sorry for all the questions. I am waiting on the delivery of a H150 Purple for a 12"x12" Chaeto fuge. I'm thinking that even though it's only 36 watts, I should get great growth with it focused on a 1 square foot area.

Pm sent

fufufufish
04/14/2016, 05:56 PM
so which h150 did you guys get and were the results favorable? im undergoing the same dilemma

filbie70
09/18/2016, 12:37 PM
Will the H150 series work with the Apex?